X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scubasi
    New TDF Member
    • Jun 2013

staggered reg servicing

I've not used my kit in too long and need twinset regs and stage reg serviced.

Do i get them all serviced at the same time or should i stagger the servicing? I've heard that regs can be a bit more sensitive after servicing?

Any advice appreciated.
  • Tewdric
    Established TDF Member
    • Feb 2013

If they are done and tested properly at service time they should perform flawlessly afterwards. It is possible for the seats to bed in a bit or a bit of dust or debris to move around which can cause the intermediate pressure to creep up, potentially leading to a freeflow. Proper testing should pick this up but a busy shop tech under pressure to get loads done might not have the time to give it the gold standard procedure.

With that much redundancy you should be able to cope with one malfunctioning valve - maybe best to do a shallow skills circuit dive with newly serviced regs?

Personally I service my own and take the time to do it absolutely by the book so am confident they are good when I get in the water with them. It also means I can tweak the intermediate pressure, for example, to the minimum in winter to reduce the risk of a freeflow. I am a certified technician though and wouldn't recommend doing it unless at least under the guidance of someone qualified.
    Last edited by Tewdric; 17-07-2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Stew W
      #VanGogh
      • Jun 2013

As you're in Bristol you don't have much choice for servicing. Everything is done off site by J R services down in Cullompton, so you'll incur a hefty add-on from any Bristol dive shops (I think we are actually down to one).

What regs are they?

EDIT:

No complaints about JR services by the way
      "Depends if you do your ascent on the way up" GLOC 2014

Comment

• Scubasi
        New TDF Member
        • Jun 2013

I don't have the tools, knowledge or time to service myself.

Was thinking of posting them to bristol channel diving but JR could be a good option.

I've 2 xtx40 and an xtx50 all on DS4's

thanks for the advice

Comment

• SoggyBottoms
          Charlie
          • Dec 2012

you guys are a gnats fart from Brocky at Bristol Channel Diving.
          I've never heard of anything they can't sort, they are like Amphibian
          why not bell him and see if he's happy to do servicing by post
          regards, Charlie

charliesez http://tinyurl.com/bjjus8g

Comment

• Tewdric
            Established TDF Member
            • Feb 2013

Have you spoken to Chris at Extreme Marine? Failing that NDAC is your nearest sensible option - Luke is a good tech (but don't tell him I said!)
            Last edited by Tewdric; 17-07-2016, 07:24 PM.

Comment

• Smiler
              TDF Member
              • Nov 2013

Send them straight to Apeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• PhilPage
                Established TDF Member
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Scubasi
                I've not used my kit in too long and need twinset regs and stage reg serviced.

Do i get them all serviced at the same time or should i stagger the servicing? I've heard that regs can be a bit more sensitive after servicing?

Any advice appreciated.
                Staggered is good, but going for a 6-10m bimble in your local quarry before doing any serious diving on them is better.

Comment

• profpointy
                  TDF Member
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Stew W
                  As you're in Bristol you don't have much choice for servicing. Everything is done off site by J R services down in Cullompton, so you'll incur a hefty add-on from any Bristol dive shops (I think we are actually down to one).

What regs are they?

EDIT:

No complaints about JR services by the way
                  I'm in Bristol and go to Brock's in Cardiff. Very well regarded and a nice bloke too.
                  I'm ot dissing the Bristol guys you mention as I know nothing of them, but will doubtless keep going to Brock's

Comment

• Stew W
                    #VanGogh
                    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by profpointy
                    I'm in Bristol and go to Brock's in Cardiff. Very well regarded and a nice bloke too.
                    I'm ot dissing the Bristol guys you mention as I know nothing of them, but will doubtless keep going to Brock's
                    I discount BDC based on the the Bridge fee. I've heard nothing but good things about Brocky.

I do all my own regs and can get a cheap hydro & o2 done local, so no need to head to darkest Wales for stuff ��
                    "Depends if you do your ascent on the way up" GLOC 2014

Comment

Working...