PDA

View Full Version : Mares buy out

Mr Flibble
08-07-2016, 08:02 AM
http://www.revo-rebreathers.com/2016/07/08/major-organisational-change-at-revo-rebreathers/

Paulo
08-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Is this good or bad?

Darren A
08-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Is this good or bad?

Good for the person who sold it :)

thetrickster
08-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Await the translucent blue and pastel colour versions and she dives models...

Paulo
08-07-2016, 09:14 AM
I wonder if it will also trigger a switch away from Apeks regs to Mares regs on the units.

Phate
08-07-2016, 10:19 AM
I wonder if it will also trigger a switch away from Apeks regs to Mares regs on the units.

I hope not!

What would be nice is if they left rEvo to be a separate entity and gave it more funding to keep doing what they do well and improve where they're not so good.

However, what I foresee actually happening is it been rebranded as a Mares Rebreather, quality cut to try and save some cash and what is at the moment and good robust rebreather going down the toilet.

But hey, I hope I'm wrong!

Dave1w
08-07-2016, 10:40 AM
It looks like Paul will be staying on, and I read into it that the rEvo will continue, but Paul will be maybe developing new units for Mares. It doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WFO
08-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Lol, how long before the "revocreational" comes out...

nigel hewitt
08-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Well if they bought Paul Raymaekers when they bought his company they've got a good deal.
He's one of the smartest guys in the rebreather biz.

iain/hsm
08-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Lol, how long before the "revocreational" comes out...

A couple of weeks is my guess

Avon (calling) got Kevin Gurr and ended up with a Type R in Blank

Oceanic got Peter Readey and got the same type R in White

Poseidon Systems got Bill Stone and a Type R in instalments

Now Mares has Paul Raymaekers my guess is Apocalypse copied parts in Blue and a Type R by June

But my question now is where does that leave Martin Parker and Ambient? The yellow card…………..Beaver Sports I guess :rofl:?

gobfish1
08-07-2016, 07:22 PM
A couple of weeks is my guess

Avon (calling) got Kevin Gurr and ended up with a Type R in Blank

Oceanic got Peter Readey and got the same type R in White

Poseidon Systems got Bill Stone and a Type R in instalments

Now Mares has Paul Raymaekers my guess is Apocalypse copied parts in Blue and a Type R by June

But my question now is where does that leave Martin Parker and Ambient? The yellow card…………..Beaver Sports I guess :rofl:?

copied parts , ?

ps
what ever happed to the Apocalypse team , No PDF,s or posts of late , Just the odd underwater vids shot on a iphone in a plastic bag, LOL

Maybe the team are busy buying new test equipment on ebay , Do ebay ship to Portugal

Doomanic
08-07-2016, 07:29 PM
You do know that Horn is like fucking Beetlejuice? Mention him too often and he'll appear, unwanted and unwelcome, spouting irrelevant shite that we don't need to hear.

iain/hsm
08-07-2016, 09:03 PM
copied parts , ?

Apparently yes, As per reference below, :

"We compliment rEvo on their new mushroom valves that really do appear quite a good facsimile of ours. All the main features are the same as per the outer rim and step by the stem but we note the rEVo mushrooms have a much weaker retaining arrow than ours. Much smaller. We guess that they missed understanding that safety critical feature and the critical design requirements of the spiders for the valve seat, when they copied the rest.
Having to resort to copying our flapper valves after they tried all alternatives really is praise for the Apocalypse rebreathers good design and professional engineering pedigree.
To see the testing done using our flapper valves for the Apocalypse rebreather refer to http://www.deeplife.co.uk/…/Fault_Study_CO2_Bypass_110314.p… and page 42 of http://www.deeplife.co.uk/or_files/FMECA_OR_V4_140831.pdf
While we do not know what rEvo have used, our flapper valves are manufactured from silicone without any plasticiser. Silicone is highly resistant to chemicals occurring in the dive environment, including oil. For our valve seat, the web, is injection moulded in a metal replacement plastic, a polyaramid type plastic, with good chemical resistance. When Deep Life Ltd did their initial R&D for our rebreather, flapper valves were procured from other companies and tested: these used mostly Butyl Rubber and NBR, both of which age, and deform under exposure to strong bases which may be present in a rebreather (from the scrubber). TPU was also found unsuitable because it forms a set (a shape memory)."https://www.facebook.com/Open-Safety-Equipment-Ltd-151298954899613/

iain/hsm
08-07-2016, 09:08 PM
You do know that is like Beetlejuice? Mention him too often and he'll appear, unwanted and unwelcome, spouting irrelevant that we don't need to hear.

I thought that was the whole purpose of the forum, Besides some of you need to hear it more than others LOL

AndrewRawlingson
09-07-2016, 12:32 AM
……..Beaver Sports I guess :rofl:?

The ReBeaver.

Someone had to say it :)

That is actually quite a scary thought.

String
09-07-2016, 12:44 AM
The ReBeaver.

Im not sure its any more scarey than a rebreather fitted with Mares regs and bcd!

turnerjd
09-07-2016, 05:40 AM

Nowhere. Martin always was an 'over my dead body' type guy.

There are now only Johnson outdoors (Scubapro) and Aqualung that don't have rebreathers and are big enough to buy APD. If either were to do so, then there would either be buddy BCDs for the rest of the world, or job losses.

I don't think MP would sell under those conditions.

iain/hsm
09-07-2016, 07:12 AM
Nowhere.

Martin always was an 'over my dead body' type guy.
I don't think MP would sell under those conditions.

That’s one way of putting it, what is it now? 60 dead bodies on the YBOD and counting.
My guess is that alone must put off the delicate flowers that now run the scuba sports industry.
Well that and the lawsuits.

There are now only Johnson outdoors (Scubapro) and Aqualung that don't have rebreathers and are big enough to buy APD.
If either were to do so, then there would either be buddy BCDs for the rest of the world, or job losses.

Fortunatly Aqualung have more rebreathers than the rest of them put together and more sense than to bother.
Here is the list:

Oxo-Mix 3 (Oxy-Mix)
Oxo-Lung (Oxy- Lung)
F.R.O.G.s (not suitable for a family forum)
C.R.A.B.E (ditto)
Amphora
C.O.D.E.
XXXX- 1
XXXX- 2

And two others, one of which I am not allowed to discuss, the other I have agreed not to discuss. Come back in 20 years.

Scuba pro also do have a sports design in place many years now but shelved the project.

For my money Mares will “Flagship” the Revo, it’s small beer as far as cost is concerned,
put a couple of youngsters into marketing, buy a tent and a few flags
Sign up for the cheap stands at the waters edge do the Pony and Trap Pay to View shows
and spend the next three years doing try dives in quarries.
All of which is the Flagship for the rink dinks to stock more Mares.
And cheap advertising for Mares to flow more masks fins and snorkels

Say’s Iain with his ex marketing manager for US Divers (nee Aqualung) hat on.;)

Energy58
09-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Head owns Mares (as well as Penn - more Tennis stuff - and Tyrolia - more ski stuff) rebreathers have to be super niche for a company of that size don't they? But I didn't know that they own (or have some kind of involvement with) SSI who seem to be currently making quite big inroads into the PADI world. So maybe this is more about growing SSI and taking the fight to PADI than rebreathers per se - which would make sense. Plus the halo effect for the Mares brand can't hurt.

Baron015
09-07-2016, 02:42 PM
Someone inside Mares likes rebreathers, struck up a relationship with P. R., got a crazy idea, wrote a business case, managed to get senior enough people in Mares to go along with it (how much are they actually risking here?) and see how it pans out, and hey presto.

Seems unlikely to be part of the corporate strategy or 10 year vision for Head at HQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iain/hsm
09-07-2016, 04:38 PM
The ReBeaver.

Hahaha I was going to say YBOC "Yellow box of Beaver is" :doh:

Mares will be renaming the REVO

ABOC

A Box of chocolates

colinicky
09-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Mares will be renaming the REVO

ABOC

A Box of chocolates

So we end up with a James Bond style person (Monty?) diving in an advert with the caption
"And all because the Lady loves milk tray"
Seems like a good way to get the purchase of a rEvo past the Missus ! Be a new one for Chasey to try LOL