PDA

View Full Version : Be careful cleaning hulls etc in Marinas

Darren A
26-06-2016, 07:48 PM
I know its generally bad form to cross post on forums. But I saw this on Scubaboard. I had absolutely no idea this could happen, so thought it might be useful to others.

http://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/boat-cleaning-fatality-fort-myers-florida.528629/

You might have to register to see it I'm afraid.

This initial post is:

-----------------------------------------------

A diver died while cleaning underneath a boat at a Fort Myers marina Monday afternoon.

Officers are investigating the accidental death of the man, who has not been identified pending next-of-kin notification, said Capt. Jim Mulligan, with Fort Myers police.

The man was found floating in The Marina at Edison Ford about an hour after he went out to starting cleaning, Mulligan said.

Police have been at the marina by Pinchers in the 2300 block of West First Street since they were called there for the drowning. about 1:30 p.m.

"We’re still on scene and still in the investigative stages," said Sgt. Jason Pate.

"There are no signs of foul play and it appears natural or accidental," the agency said.

-----------------------------------------

As the thread develops it seems they were electricuted due to faulty wiring while the boat was hooked up to the marina electricity supply.

Paulo
26-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Shared that with a friend that does hull cleaning

Wrecked_Diver
26-06-2016, 09:38 PM
I had an extra dive in a marina the other week to retrieve a fellow divers set of car keys, I must admit I was more concerned someone would flush the toilet, electrics didn't cross my mind!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paulo
26-06-2016, 09:43 PM
I had an extra dive in a marina the other week to retrieve a fellow divers set of car keys, I must admit I was more concerned someone would flush the toilet, electrics didn't cross my mind!

Who said electics?

Wrecked_Diver
26-06-2016, 09:46 PM

As the thread develops it seems they were electricuted due to faulty wiring while the boat was hooked up to the marina electricity supply.[/QUOTE]

Paulo
26-06-2016, 09:47 PM

As the thread develops it seems they were electricuted due to faulty wiring while the boat was hooked up to the marina electricity supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ok didnt read the scubaboards thread. Is that confirmed or supposition?

Spirit of Guernsey
26-06-2016, 09:48 PM
All of the marinas that I have been in don't allow diving except by approved contractors working to HSE.

witchieblackcat
27-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Not sure how the electrics turned off the valve though.

rockystock1
24-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Surly he just jumpt in and forgot to turn his valve on, ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk