PDA

View Full Version : Draining the loop - how?

Phate
31-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Time for another late night (for me) nooby rebreather question.

How does one drain the loop? I just read on CCRX that this isn't possible on the rEvo? is it different on each unit?

Thanks in advance! Sorry for the ignorance!

nickb
31-05-2016, 05:19 PM
It will vary from unit to unit.

The JJ has a dump valve at the bottom rear of the exhale counterlung. One needs to roll to the right a little heads-up and pull the dump cord. Over pressuring the loop helps the process.

Inspos with front lungs are very easy to drain. Dunno about the BMCL but I assume it's similar to the JJ

Mark Chase
31-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Its not possable to recover a flood on some units including the KISS and the rEvo.

Minor drule and water in the loop can be managed on all units id have thaught?

Inspo with large front mounted lungs is very very easy to recover from a flood and is the only unit I'd dive alpinist for this reasion.

SMall lungs on the inspo work as well but its no where near as easy IMHO

Sadly I dont like front mount lungs so I put up with units like the JJ which offers some recovery options which are far more of a handfull to manage but do at least work

I owned and dived a rEvo and the flooding thing woulden't put me off buying another one as it has many redeeming feetures.

I got rid of my one mainly due to transportation on aircraft in overhead lockers where the Mini was too big and too heavy. If you dont need to do this, then the rEvo is a fine unit or get the Micro version

I am in the process of building a KISS to my preferances and that unit also has zero flood recovery options. Again is a damed fine unit and one which you can adapt for overhead locker travel

ATB

Barrygoss
31-05-2016, 11:31 PM
Its not possable to recover a flood on some units including the KISS and the rEvo.

Minor drule and water in the loop can be managed on all units id have thaught?

I am in the process of building a KISS to my preferances and that unit also has zero flood recovery options. Again is a damed fine unit and one which you can adapt for overhead locker travel

ATB
Check the kiss/home builder FB pages a lad was offering a new style can base with an apeks valve dump built in. Should make a full stack flood recoverable

B

Phate
01-06-2016, 01:30 AM
Thank you all! Appreciate it :)

I wonder if anyone has come up with a homebrew solution for the rEvo like Barry has mentioned for the KISS.

hmmm

Paulo
01-06-2016, 06:31 AM
Thank you all! Appreciate it :)

I wonder if anyone has come up with a homebrew solution for the rEvo like Barry has mentioned for the KISS.

hmmm

Would be very difficult due to the design of the revo

WFO
01-06-2016, 07:18 AM
I got rid of my one mainly due to transportation on aircraft in overhead lockers where the Mini was too big and too heavy. If you dont need to do this, then the rEvo is a fine unit or get the Micro version

ATB

Have you seen Chris Kennedy's units? They're a KISS sized can but using typical lung and T-piece setup... best of both worlds giving you an exhale tee and water trap.

How does that work in an overhead bag, do you take your full set in there wing backplate the lot?

Phate
01-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Would be very difficult due to the design of the revo

Can you elaborate please?

Phate
01-06-2016, 07:52 AM

When I go down the rebreather route, if I go for the rEvo it will be the Micro Titanium I would imagine. Travel friendliness is high on my list of priorities for a breather.

Phate
01-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Whoops double post!

WFO
01-06-2016, 08:20 AM

Any gob/water coming down the exhale hose basically goes straight to the lime and cells, there isn't a convenient catch tank like the bottom of a can.

Paulo
01-06-2016, 08:29 AM

Revo lungs are rear mounted and encased in a metal frame

Phate
01-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Ah makes sense, cheers!

steelemonkey
01-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Is "Draining the loop" some sort of euphemism? :)

Phate
01-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Is "Draining the loop" some sort of euphemism? :)

Do you want it to be? ;)