PDA

View Full Version : are you fit to dive

drysuitdiver
04-05-2016, 06:42 AM
http://rnli.org/safety/respect-the-water/activities/scuba-diving/Pages/dive-safe.aspx
http://rnli.org/safety/respect-the-water/activities/scuba-diving/Pages/scuba-diving.aspx

season well underway, incidents being reported. we all check our regs, BCD/Wing drysuit and lights but do we make sure our bodies are up to the task ?

Are YOU fit to dive ?

Dave Whitlow made a good point on a thread (now deleted) about making sure you are.

I am following the advice given by PM

smileydiver
04-05-2016, 07:26 AM
I have to have an HSE medical every year. Doesn't cover everything but it does cover at least some basic checks and stops me from eating too many pies ;)

dwhitlow
04-05-2016, 07:30 AM
season well underway, incidents being reported. we all check our regs, BCD/Wing drysuit and lights but do we make sure our bodies are up to the task ?

Are YOU fit to dive ?

Dave Whitlow made a good point on a thread (now deleted) about making sure you are.

I forgot where I was posting and it was tidied up for me :blush:

The point I made was that age, weight and fitness are risk factors, irrespective of equipment, qualifications and experience.

In recent years, the BSAC incident reports have seen a significant proportion of fatalities in the over 50s. The underlying cause has sometimes been more about the person and less about diving (I have no idea of the circumstances of the recent incident). Still being youthful, but in that age group, I feel it is important to do what I can to avoid being the next statistic.

If you would get breathless running for a bus (not that fashionable people do that) then how would you cope towing a casualty to the boat, or even hauling up a shot weight? Do you like the answer to that question? Age is what it is but fitness and weight we can change.

drysuitdiver
04-05-2016, 08:12 AM
I forgot where I was posting and it was tidied up for me :blush:

The point I made was that age, weight and fitness are risk factors, irrespective of equipment, qualifications and experience.

In recent years, the BSAC incident reports have seen a significant proportion of fatalities in the over 50s. The underlying cause has sometimes been more about the person and less about diving (I have no idea of the circumstances of the recent incident). Still being youthful, but in that age group, I feel it is important to do what I can to avoid being the next statistic.

If you would get breathless running for a bus (not that fashionable people do that) then how would you cope towing a casualty to the boat, or even hauling up a shot weight? Do you like the answer to that question? Age is what it is but fitness and weight we can change.

I imagine dragging yourself up chesil will keep you fit !

I have a beer belly. but I can run for a bus without being breathless. I am not fashionable in any way shape or form

turnerjd
04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Too true.

I was in really good shape a few years ago when I was preparing for my French N4 exam. In that, they had a timed 800m open water swim (in suit, mask & fins - weighted to be neutrally buoyant.....); 10 m free dive, and 500m timed swim in full gear (all three done in the same suit with the same weight IIRC).

As they were timed, good fitness got you good marks, so that you could then have an easier time of some of the more stupid exercises where you get "style points" such as the 20m DTH (basically swim a buddy up from 20 m with full tank and completely empty BCD - ie 2kg negatively buoyant) or the 20m RSE (here you breath in, take your reg out of your mouth, then swim up to the surface from 20m). For both of these, just "doing" the exercise gets you a score of around 10/20, doing it with ease and style is needed for anything more.....

Of course, after that (and especially after the OWSI a couple of years later), I've done nothing but teaching, so the physical part has dropped off "a bit".

I can now really feel the difference, and regularly say to myself that I need to get more into shape, but it never happens.

notdeadyet
04-05-2016, 08:35 AM
I imagine dragging yourself up chesil will keep you fit !

I'd doubt it. A couple of minutes either side of floating round in the water once a week?

It always makes me laugh the amount of time wasted talking about kit or doing "skills and drills". I'd bet cash money the one thing that would dramatically increase safety in the water is improving fitness, the one thing most divers will happily ignore. Simply the ability to cope better under physically stressful conditions has to be a major benefit.

Diving has to be the only sport where you can be doing the equivalent of an Alpine climb with the fitness level of custard filled balloon thanks to good equipment. When you see divers waddling round inland sites it genuinely saddens me that people have so little care for themselves.

We're a fat, unfit society. We have a culture that celebrates stuffing in obscene amounts of shit food, pouring alcohol down our necks and sitting on our arses watching foreigners play sport.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

drysuitdiver
04-05-2016, 09:07 AM
I'd doubt it. A couple of minutes either side of floating round in the water once a week?

It always makes me laugh the amount of time wasted talking about kit or doing "skills and drills". I'd bet cash money the one thing that would dramatically increase safety in the water is improving fitness, the one thing most divers will happily ignore. Simply the ability to cope better under physically stressful conditions has to be a major benefit.

Diving has to be the only sport where you can be doing the equivalent of an Alpine climb with the fitness level of custard filled balloon thanks to good equipment. When you see divers waddling round inland sites it genuinely saddens me that people have so little care for themselves.

We're a fat, unfit society. We have a culture that celebrates stuffing in obscene amounts of shit food, pouring alcohol down our necks and sitting on our arses watching foreigners play sport.

I don't mean just after diving. getting out and walking up and down there on a blown out trip a few years ago reminded of muscles I have in legs I had forgotten about. DW is lucky he has that great beach to get/ keep fit using.

i just gotta lose the beer belly. rest of me is lean .

dwhitlow
04-05-2016, 09:50 AM
DW is lucky he has that great beach to get/ keep fit using.

Actually, I don't use the beach much as that is a couple of miles away. Some of the routes for walking the dog around here involve a lot of up and down and today dog chose a 3 mile route. That gets followed 2-3 times a week by 45 minutes of self abuse, courtesy of a personal trainer who created a series of programs I can do at home.

That said, over wine the other day, I did agree to dive Chesil some time soon so I have climbing that wall of marbles in my future.

paulnlowry
04-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Actually, I don't use the beach much as that is a couple of miles away. Some of the routes for walking the dog around here involve a lot of up and down and today dog chose a 3 mile route. That gets followed 2-3 times a week by 45 minutes of self abuse, courtesy of a personal trainer who created a series of programs I can do at home.

That said, over wine the other day, I did agree to dive Chesil some time soon so I have climbing that wall of marbles in my future.

Do not admit to the guys in the "Club" that you are (self abusing)- because you will never ever hear the end of it !

dwhitlow
04-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Do not admit to the guys in the "Club" that you are (self abusing)- because you will never ever hear the end of it !

:clap: Yeah, I suspect you are right. I wondered whether someone would pick up on that :)

drysuitdiver
04-05-2016, 06:41 PM
:clap: Yeah, I suspect you are right. I wondered whether someone would pick up on that :)

I was being nice so thought I would ignore it.

I did laugh like a drain tho .

Tewdric
04-05-2016, 07:08 PM
HSE medical for me - primarily for swiftwater rescue technician work but also reassuring for recreational diving.

purple vonny
04-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Am I fit to dive - probably not. But you'll all say nice things about me when I've kicked the bucket.

doggy's doodah
04-05-2016, 10:08 PM
The average age of the divers in our club is north of 65!

I have a diving medical with an ECG every year - a) for my own piece of mind and b) so that if anything does happen it proves to DAN / dive centres et al that I was MOTd recently.

I do think that I am fitter than a lot of others my age, but some bits certainly don't function as well as they used to! (THAT bit is OK thanks!!)

Markymark75
04-05-2016, 11:20 PM
The start point of the article is that half diving deaths occur to over 50''s. Whilst every death is a huge loss the proportion doesn't seem that high - I've been diving nearly 30 years and am still often the youngest on dive boats, so I'm guessing that's probably reasonably representative of divers as a group.

I'm also not convinced that fitness is cure all of the article. I'm probably the fittest I've ever been - but that has been at the expense of time in the water. The upshot is that I'd need a hell of a lot of work up dives and time in the water to be anywhere near as safe in the water as my less fit self was a couple of years ago (probably sacrificing some of the fitness in the process).

Phate
05-05-2016, 01:29 AM
Having been at both ends of the very fat and not so fat when diving I definitely prefer being at the not so fat end of the scale. This coupled with physical fitness I believe to be important.

I've seen skinny people who have never exercised in their lives really struggle with diving due to the physical demands on the body, so it isn't just about pure weight!

Am I fit to dive? Yes. Could I be better? Always.

mark weaver
05-05-2016, 06:28 AM

Speak for yourself. I never watch sport on tv.

drysuitdiver
05-05-2016, 06:32 AM
Speak for yourself. I never watch sport on tv.

He was talking about the scottish ;)

uwila
05-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Am I fit to dive - probably not. But you'll all say nice things about me when I've kicked the bucket.

Wishful thinking! ;)

nigel hewitt
05-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Looking about the dive boats I see if half the dive deaths are in the over 50s range then that's about evenly distributed.
Diving in the UK these days seems to be an expensive sport for the older person.

You get my annual posts here when I pass my medical for the year and I always appreciate the responses.
I'm 66 now and I hope I've still got a good few years left before the doctor says "I'm sorry Mr,. Hewitt but.."

Burgo
08-05-2016, 07:50 PM
I have a diving medical with an ECG every year - a) for my own piece of mind and b) so that if anything does happen it proves to DAN / dive centres et al that I was MOTd recently

Who do you go to - we used Clinica Bellas Nietos for our last sign-off?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Nitnab Nhoj
09-05-2016, 08:57 AM
I used to have an annual HSE medical and be told I was really fit to which I always answered, if I am fit who the devil are those that are not and should they be let anywhere near diving activities! (Nigel Hewitt - you are a mere boy! I was still doing 350 dives a year when I was your age!)

Foggy
09-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Looking about the dive boats I see if half the dive deaths are in the over 50s range then that's about evenly distributed.
Diving in the UK these days seems to be an expensive sport for the older person.

You get my annual posts here when I pass my medical for the year and I always appreciate the responses.
I'm 66 now and I hope I've still got a good few years left before the doctor says "I'm sorry Mr,. Hewitt but.."
Reminded me of the joke:

Doctor "you've got ten to live"
Patient "10 what?"
Doc "6,5,4...."
:)

nigel hewitt
09-05-2016, 11:50 AM
(Nigel Hewitt - you are a mere boy! I was still doing 350 dives a year when I was your age!)
Wonderful.
That's just the kind of thing I need to here.
Here's to lots more years for us both.

OutOfTest
09-05-2016, 12:03 PM
There's a 71 year old sump diver in my club who I watched carry two 12s half a mile yesterday to go diving.

Few weeks before I watched him carry two 7s down a not easy cave....then out again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allan Carr
09-05-2016, 12:12 PM
I'm 68 and have just been cleared for another year after a full check-up, ECG etc. Looking forward to many more years of diving yet.

The German film-maker Leni Riefenstahl who was infamous for her film of the 1936 Olympics learned to dive at the age of 71 and did her last dive when she was 99. She died at the age of 101.