PDA

View Full Version : 1st Dives in a while - weird nasal effect

mrmints
22-04-2016, 10:19 AM
I did two dives at Vobster yesterday on the KISS, my first CC dives in about 3 years! The first dive was a bit all over the place - CCR buoyancy at 6m...what a PITA!!

I have a Gollum Gear MAV for the diluent and it was really badly placed, right next to the inflate hose for my wing, I grabbed the wrong one a couple of times whilst ascending. In addition, it literally blasts diluent in!! I mean really pumps it through. I'm tempted to get rid of it all together, I just quite liked the idea of using it for off-board gas if ever required. After the first use, when it almost surfaced me, I used the ADV for subsequent DIL flushes.

My pressure gauges were all but impossible to see, I need to lengthen those hoses...

And I was having this very strange effect from my mask. It's one I now remember vividly from rebreather diving (I think with all of the units I ended up on). It tends to happen towards the end of the dive and it's very hard to explain, but it sort of feels like my mask is sucking air out of my nose?!?! Anyone else ever experience anything like this?!

Paulo
22-04-2016, 10:25 AM
I did two dives at Vobster yesterday on the KISS, my first CC dives in about 3 years! The first dive was a bit all over the place - CCR buoyancy at 6m...what a PITA!!

I have a Gollum Gear MAV for the diluent and it was really badly placed, right next to the inflate hose for my wing, I grabbed the wrong one a couple of times whilst ascending. In addition, it literally blasts diluent in!! I mean really pumps it through. I'm tempted to get rid of it all together, I just quite liked the idea of using it for off-board gas if ever required. After the first use, when it almost surfaced me, I used the ADV for subsequent DIL flushes.

My pressure gauges were all but impossible to see, I need to lengthen those hoses...

And I was having this very strange effect from my mask. It's one I now remember vividly from rebreather diving (I think with all of the units I ended up on). It tends to happen towards the end of the dive and it's very hard to explain, but it sort of feels like my mask is sucking air out of my nose?!?! Anyone else ever experience anything like this?!

Did you equalise the mask?

mrmints
22-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Yeah, a little exhale out the nose to try and stop it happening, but it made no difference. The more I think about it, it was more a case of the mask moving out and in with my breath. Getting closer to my face on the inhale, and further away on the exhale...it wasn't be any stretch painfully uncomfortable or anything, but uncomfortable none the less.

Larry0428
23-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Yeah, a little exhale out the nose to try and stop it happening, but it made no difference. The more I think about it, it was more a case of the mask moving out and in with my breath. Getting closer to my face on the inhale, and further away on the exhale...it wasn't be any stretch painfully uncomfortable or anything, but uncomfortable none the less.

Please take what I say with a grain of salt as I still consider myself a newbie and I dive a different unit. Having said that when I was starting out I had exactly the same issue. Always towards the end of a dive, usually when I was a bit task loaded I would have some involuntary inhale and exhale thought the nose. While I tried quite a few different things, for me it turned out that when I got task loaded I started to breathe shallow without really realizing it and I guess gave myself a little mini CO2 hit. Cure was amazingly easy. Dive more and get relaxed and focus on proper deep breathing technique. Have never suffered from it since.

Cheers
Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Baron015
23-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Remember to breath in and out through your mouth not your nose ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulo
23-04-2016, 01:09 PM
I had this happen once in Lanzarote. Couldnt figure it out. Never happened again

WFO
25-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Have you got the unit strapped on at the right height? Being back lungs it may be a hydrostatic effect

ebt
25-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Dusty slime has been known to cause something similar, might be worth checking?

mrmints
25-04-2016, 01:47 PM
I think the height thing could be the issue...having said that, I don't think I could get it much higher on my back.

Need to do a bit more diving on it and see if I can work out exactly when it's happening. IT could be what Larry has suggested...I was getting a bit task loaded as I was underweight and I'm pretty sure when I started to concentrate on my breathing it went. However, apart from a routine check to see I'm not huffing and puffing, I don't really want to spend the whole dive having to concentrate on how to breath!

ebt
25-04-2016, 03:30 PM
I find in and out works well ;) .....no need to thank me !

mrmints
25-04-2016, 03:40 PM
http://45.media.tumblr.com/d0169785be663fa5adcfe315194ce18c/tumblr_mvrugh1jWP1r17qi5o3_250.gif

Larry0428
26-04-2016, 02:40 AM
I think the height thing could be the issue...having said that, I don't think I could get it much higher on my back.

Need to do a bit more diving on it and see if I can work out exactly when it's happening. IT could be what Larry has suggested...I was getting a bit task loaded as I was underweight and I'm pretty sure when I started to concentrate on my breathing it went. However, apart from a routine check to see I'm not huffing and puffing, I don't really want to spend the whole dive having to concentrate on how to breath!

I am stealing someone else's quote, but what helped me was,"let your breathing rate dictate your work rate, not your work rate dictate your breathing rate".

Which for me translated into slowing down a bit = more relaxed = deeper breathing =no more mask sucking effect.

Cheers
Larry

ebt
26-04-2016, 07:55 AM
I am stealing someone else's quote, but what helped me was,"let your breathing rate dictate your work rate, not your work rate dictate your breathing rate"

Clearly these are wise words, which can only have come from dashing and witty chap.

Obviously such sage advice i s deserving of a pint from all who heed it :D

Larry0428
27-04-2016, 02:46 AM
Clearly these are wise words, which can only have come from dashing and witty chap.

Obviously such sage advice i s deserving of a pint from all who heed it :D

It looks like I stole these fine words from your good self then ebt. Well I have to say they worked really well for me a newbie! More than happy to supply a pint or two or more should we cross paths.

Cheers
Larry