PDA

View Full Version : Omniswivel QD vs Swagelok QD

mrmints
15-04-2016, 10:17 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on which are better? It seems to me that Omniswivel are actually built for diving, Swagelok not. However, looking for example at the KISS offboard gas kit and the RedHead offboard gas kit, they all seem to use Swagelok...

I'm still thinking about my BOV and how to plumb it in. Having read a couple of incident reports, I think I like the idea of it being my regulator all the way to the surface if possible, therefore plan to run it directly to my bailout...

KISS ones actually look like Omniswivel to me

mrmints
15-04-2016, 10:26 AM
I've also posted this on CCRX http://www.ccrexplorers.com/showthread.php?t=19116&p=184014#post184014 in case anyone is interested...

notdeadyet
15-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Omniswivel is a variant of CEJN. Dave Sutton wrote a good post on RBW on interchangeability if you can find it.

I've used both. Swagelok work well but I've found them a bit overengineered and a bit more finnicky than CEJN. You need an extra set of adapters to go from scuba to npt hose fittings as well which can be a ballache sometimes. They don't really like mud and the end of the male fitting is a bit vulnerable. Stupid expensive for stainless, the brass fittings work just as well. US Ebay is good for picking them up, I got a box of unused QC6's for about 40 quid.

Now I use CEJN fittings for my BOV and offboards. XS Scuba female CEJN type fittings will lock on to both Omniswivel or true CEJN, I've got an Omniswivel male reg fitting on the BOV and XS Scuba females on the offboard hoses.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Barrygoss
15-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts on which are better? It seems to me that Omniswivel are actually built for diving, Swagelok not. However, looking for example at the KISS offboard gas kit and the RedHead offboard gas kit, they all seem to use Swagelok...

I'm still thinking about my BOV and how to plumb it in. Having read a couple of incident reports, I think I like the idea of it being my regulator all the way to the surface if possible, therefore plan to run it directly to my bailout...

KISS ones actually look like Omniswivel to me

Swagelock QC6 - it the connector with the flow rate. Talk to Andy at Switish and tell him you're a diver and he'll sort all the bits out for you (PM me for his number)

B

Then with the QC6's in hand go and see a hose place. I took mine to the LDS who has a contact at one of the F1 places round here, I got custom hoses made so didn't need adapters to make them work.

mrmints
15-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Swagelock QC6 - it the connector with the flow rate. Talk to Andy at Switish and tell him you're a diver and he'll sort all the bits out for you (PM me for his number)

B

Then with the QC6's in hand go and see a hose place. I took mine to the LDS who has a contact at one of the F1 places round here, I got custom hoses made so didn't need adapters to make them work.

Barry, please excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that the Omniswivel QDs don't have sufficient flow rate for a BOV application?

MikeF
15-04-2016, 10:59 AM
for a BOV you'll need a QC6. QC4 is too small a bore. however a QC6 is a chunky bit of kit.

if you want to connect at the BOV itself go for CEJN or one of the CEJN clones but be aware that CEJN do a small bore and big bore in the same connector. you want the larger bore version.

notdeadyet
15-04-2016, 11:02 AM
Barry, please excuse my ignorance, but does that mean that the Omniswivel QDs don't have sufficient flow rate for a BOV application?
There is the QC4 and the QC6, the 6 has adequate flow and the 4 doesnt.

CEJN based fittings are designedfor breathing air/diving applications.

Capt Morgan
15-04-2016, 11:09 AM

B

What he said plus I find These (http://www.narkedat90.com/reusable_hose_14npt_p/1-4ruhosebox43.htm) useful as I have no F1 places near me ;)

mrmints
15-04-2016, 11:10 AM
And Omniswivel is a clone of CEJN?

mrmints
15-04-2016, 11:11 AM
What he said plus I find These (http://www.narkedat90.com/reusable_hose_14npt_p/1-4ruhosebox43.htm) useful as I have no F1 places near me ;)

So why did you chose QC6 of omniswivel stuff?

Capt Morgan
15-04-2016, 11:19 AM
So why did you chose QC6 of omniswivel stuff?

Easy availability at a great price from Switish (http://www.switish.com/contact-us.html) plus the fact that they deliver
vast amounts of gas and are easy to service.

notdeadyet
15-04-2016, 11:22 AM
And Omniswivel is a clone of CEJN?
Kind of. The main obvious difference is the locking groove on the male fitting is shallower. If you deepen it with a file or Dremel then it will lock to any CEJN female fitting, drysuit hose, etc. If I remember right the male fitting with non-return valve has a lower flow but otherwise they are similar.

I wouldn't pay the extra for Omniswivel, just get full flow CEJN fittings (some male fittings designed for drysuit valves have a restricted bore). Much cheaper. The locking tabs on Omniswivel fittings are an absolute ballache with gloves, a straight drysuit hose does the job better.

Crickers
15-04-2016, 11:41 AM
After consideration I went with the Omniswivel connectors from narkedat90 with the check valves. here (https://www.narkedat90.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=QDCVZFSbox31)

I didn't like the additional adapters required to fit the Swagelok which resulted it quite a big lump on the hose end, although hadn't seen the hose ends from narkedat90 before today. Also the male Swagelok's seemed a little fragile as it's quite long.

I have a miflex hose connected to my GG Shrimp and run it over my shoulder down behind the wing and connect to a short hose on my bailout. If carrying multiple stages it's connected to my bottom gas. I don't have a gas switching block so when I switch to next gas I just switch regulator, I feel this keeps things simple which I like.

mrmints
15-04-2016, 11:53 AM
After consideration I went with the Omniswivel connectors from narkedat90 with the check valves. here (https://www.narkedat90.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=QDCVZFSbox31)

I didn't like the additional adapters required to fit the Swagelok which resulted it quite a big lump on the hose end, although hadn't seen the hose ends from narkedat90 before today. Also the male Swagelok's seemed a little fragile as it's quite long.

I have a miflex hose connected to my GG Shrimp and run it over my shoulder down behind the wing and connect to a short hose on my bailout. If carrying multiple stages it's connected to my bottom gas. I don't have a gas switching block so when I switch to next gas I just switch regulator, I feel this keeps things simple which I like.

Just out of interest, how long is the long hose you use from your BOV?

Crickers
15-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Just out of interest, how long is the long hose you use from your BOV?

I use either 1.5m or 1.8m, have both and not sure which I like the best. It's good to be able to see the connector rather than have it tucked somewhere behind you.

Timw
15-04-2016, 12:24 PM
I swapped to Swagelok as a lot of my diving is from a RIB and the omniswivels were more difficult to disconnect one handed in the water while hanging onto the boat. Both connections benefit from keeping them clean. A have also found that the swageloks can get surface rust on the female collar - doesn't affect the functioning but doesn't look great on a nice SS fitting. If it wasn't for the easier disconnect, I'd have stayed with omniswivels.