PDA

View Full Version : Dive Watches use them or not?

Tim Digger
24-03-2016, 04:40 PM
OK here is an attempt to answer the other posters question. I know he was mainly interested in watches but it is a valid question, how do you measure time underwater?

Nickpicks
24-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Dive computer. I don't need to know the actual time whilst underwater, just the length of the dive, the remaining NDL and TTS.

Hot Totty
24-03-2016, 04:43 PM
if its a deco dive and I'm too tight to buy another dive pc then yes :)

Mikael
24-03-2016, 04:45 PM
http://www.papersavepro.com/Portals/64621/images/Rolex%20sundial.flickr.azrainman-resized-600.jpg

Tim Digger
24-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Hey you are too quick for my type speed. Look at the Poll But PLEASE DO NOT answer it for 24 hours I will then post another trying to answer the criticisms of the original poll. I have seen the savaging of some PHD polls. Please bear in mind this poll is limited by the software on the site.

Tim Digger
24-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Dive computer. I don't need to know the actual time whilst underwater, just the length of the dive, the remaining NDL and TTS.
Agreed but you are still measuring time.

Hot Totty
24-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Count 1 hefferlump 2 hefferlump:D

Mark Chase
24-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Sorry put used too in the early days which is true but also could ahve put I now use two dive computers / bottom timers

I started diving in 89 and I didnt buy a computer till the late 90s

Just used my watch and a manual depth gauge, thats all I needed for recreational diveing

Just to be flash,, I used my Rolex Oyster :D My dad got it for my 21st

Sadly stolen years ago :(

Tim Digger
24-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Count 1 hefferlump 2 hefferlump:D
Yehb but I bet you loose count. hefferlumps are big and Pooh an Piglet eventually realised they got it wrong. There were NO hefferlumps!

John63
24-03-2016, 08:10 PM
watch is a citizen aqualand. so really a watch + bottom timer

includes dive time, depth, surface interval, ave depth, temp etc. Is also pc compatible if you want to down load profile / dive details.

use it as back up to computer. only failing in it is that depth sensor is maxed out at 80m.

for any dive deeper I take two comps. Petrel 2, TEC2g (set to gauge)

matt
24-03-2016, 10:23 PM
CC Handset, DTimer, Diver Mag Watch underwater.

I also have a dive watch for regular wear.

Matt.

notdeadyet
24-03-2016, 11:11 PM
I don't think I've worn a watch since I was a teenager. I treated myself to a Tag Heuer when I was 18, strap broke on my first dive with it, watch flooded on the second. Piece of shit. Not really worn a watch since. I've got a crappy old 15 digital in my wetnotes but to be honest, I've not looked at it in so long I don't even know if the battery is still running. I only look at the time when I'm at work, after 5 who cares?

I use an old Aladin Pro as a timer and the handset on my computer as a back-up.

dwhitlow
24-03-2016, 11:45 PM
OK here is an attempt to answer the other posters question. I know he was mainly interested in watches but it is a valid question, how do you measure time underwater?
My answer doesn't match your poll options I'm afraid.

When doing pool training I did use one underwater. It was useful for measuring time and didn't have the distraction value of a dive computer.
I still have the dive watch but it has ceased functioning (probably battery) and I have been debating whether I should resuscitate it.

For all other diving I use multiple computers that provide me time, as well as lots of other useful stuff.

Snash
25-03-2016, 01:16 AM

When doing pool training I did use one underwater. It was useful for measuring time and didn't have the distraction value of a dive computer..

Genuine question - what does distraction value of a dive computer mean?

Ta
Snash

londonsean69
25-03-2016, 01:41 AM
Genuine question - what does distraction value of a dive computer mean?

Ta
Snash

New dive students like shiny dive computers and big dive knifes, they seem to be fascinated by them.
Rather than take in the lesson and the basic kit, they either want something blingy, or stabby.

Snash
25-03-2016, 02:00 AM
Don't think it is just new divers - the amount of divers who seem more interested in their kit than what is around them on the dive is amazing

Stig
25-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Hmm, I'd have to answer both 2 and 4, i.e. I used to use a watch when I first started but now I use two computers

londonsean69
25-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Don't think it is just new divers - the amount of divers who seem more interested in their kit than what is around them on the dive is amazing

As an UW photographer I feel like a BMW/Audi driver, I rarely look past the end of my lens and tend to ignore everybody else anyway :)

notdeadyet
25-03-2016, 10:08 AM
As an UW photographer I feel like a BMW/Audi driver, I rarely look past the end of my lens and tend to ignore everybody else anyway :)

My dive kit is redneck truck then :)

Pete Bullen
25-03-2016, 11:05 AM

I frequently strap a 2nd comp or BT to my strobe arm, that way I have the reference without moving my eyes too far from the camera :)

Elvis
25-03-2016, 11:34 AM
My dive kit is redneck truck then :)

At the moment just about everything I own is redneck.

Tim Digger
25-03-2016, 12:48 PM
OK I amm amazed no real criticisms of the poll. It is multiple choice so you can tick more than one. Surprised there isn't somebody claiming not to measure time underwater. Though about the only reasonable time to do so is boat cleaning Navy style. Then what you need is the answer to the question how many times have I opened the manifold?
I will not post a modification.

Tim Digger
25-03-2016, 12:52 PM

When doing pool training I did use one underwater. It was useful for measuring time and didn't have the distraction value of a dive computer.
I still have the dive watch but it has ceased functioning (probably battery) and I have been debating whether I should resuscitate it.

For all other diving I use multiple computers that provide me time, as well as lots of other useful stuff.

OK I could have put two OR MORE computers. Many will have special circumstances where a particular thing is still occasionally used. I think you could shoehorn yourself in.

Tel
25-03-2016, 01:04 PM
Well TBH it's less about measuring time and more about what sort of time :)

Is it a countdown clock to being in deco, a time before the return point, a time at depth,
a time for that lesson or when you need to get out the pool. Loads of variants and what you
use will depend how integrated or not you require it with other data.

Which means what you use has almost zero to do with one being better than the other
in isolation and entirely down to one being better given a particular set of circumstances.

So that will be like every other bit of dive kit going :) almost nothing is bad (exceptions
are scuba rattles and Buddy enclosed reels :p ) just depends on the circumstances of use.