PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp BOV leaks on the JJ?

damianb
22-02-2016, 05:22 PM
I put this up on CCRX but thought that folk on here may also be able to offer their thoughts / experiences..

A couple of mates I know recently bought Shrimp BOV's for their JJ's. I have been considering buying one for my unit but I have heard a number of people experiencing water ingress in the loop, pre dive pos and neg tests come up OK yet there is still water. A few guys on CCRX believe it may be due to misfitting mouthpiece or the BOV switch being partly open.

Before I spend the money I wanted to see if there are any other thoughts? What are the JJ BOV's like, perhaps that's a viable solution?

Paul r s
22-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I've been using my shrimp for around 2 years and the only time I had a problems with water was with a split mouth piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damianb
22-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Thanks Paul. This is promising. I wonder if the shrimp manufacturing process has changed or the new dive can JJs have different sized tubes that may not be a perfect fit with the new shrimps. Something is definitely up though. 3 or 4 folk on CCRX have the same ingress problem along with two guys I know. All recent purchases (JJs and shrimps)

MikeF
22-02-2016, 06:18 PM
I've been using my shrimp for around 2 years and the only time I had a problems with water was with a split mouth piece.

ditto. however I have heard of people having issues with the AP mouthpiece as the shrimp mouthpiece spigot is a different shape. I've had leaks using one cable tie but putting two on the opposite way round seals OK.

The JJ BOV was OK CC but shit (very) OC. get the shrimp. unless you want the lowest WOB BOV in which case.... nope sorry scratch that the JJ gas flow is the wrong way round.

Paul r s
22-02-2016, 06:23 PM
If they hold poss and neg then it must be during the barrel being turned to cc mode or leaky mouth piece

nickb
22-02-2016, 06:38 PM
My bet is on loose lips. That was usually the source of my unit taking on some water and has been mostly resolved by adding a Drager gag strap.

I'm not particularly bothered with some water in the loop except on deco where the gurgling against the exhale flapper drives me nuts. Just roll to the right and hold the dump valve open to drain it.

PeterL
23-02-2016, 10:17 AM
I found the DiveX mouthpiece leaks without silicon on it with the shrimp, no amount of cable tie tension is enough.

damianb
23-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. So it seems as the likely leaky culprits are one of the following - leaky lips, leaky mouthpiece or leaks when opening the barrel to CC, after pos and neg tests. I will inform my mate and see how he gets on.

Baron015
23-02-2016, 11:52 PM
I found the DiveX mouthpiece leaks without silicon on it with the shrimp, no amount of cable tie tension is enough.

I have this problem too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brad_Horn
24-02-2016, 02:00 AM
I put this up on CCRX but thought that folk on here may also be able to offer their thoughts / experiences..

A couple of mates I know recently bought Shrimp BOV's for their JJ's. I have been considering buying one for my unit but I have heard a number of people experiencing water ingress in the loop, pre dive pos and neg tests come up OK yet there is still water. A few guys on CCRX believe it may be due to misfitting mouthpiece or the BOV switch being partly open.

Before I spend the money I wanted to see if there are any other thoughts?
Damian, Might be worth your while having a chat to Baz (Barry Hallet) At SXD (Southern Cross Divers) in Sydney. I understand he has had a lot of success fitting the Hollis Prism 2 BOV to the JJ-CCR and sells it as a kit for direct replacement. It's not CE'd for use past 40m, but then the Shrimp isn't CE'd at all and reportedly the Hollis BOV offers a quite good WOB in OC mode, unlike the Shrimp.

Dave1w
24-02-2016, 03:11 AM
The Hollis is a nice unit and I prefer it to the shrimp. You have two choices of buying it as a kit for the Prism 2, feeding from the left, or as a collection of spares from the Explorer in white, for $200 cheaper. Add Helium in the US have it, or ask your local UK Hollis dealer for a short list of part numbers. For the JJ, you would probably be better buying a new 1 meter of loop hose from JJ or Narked, as the Hollis BOV ideally needs a cuff on the hose, but should go straight on. For me, the Shrimp was a great improvement on the Kiss BOV, the JJ works great in CC, but actually closing it, or breathing off it OC isn't good ( there is a fix for that though).

On your shrimp problem, I think as standard it has an Apeks comfobite, so if they tried fitting a more CCR centric mouthpiece, as above, they don't always fit well, and if the pos and neg is found to be good, it's most usually a mouthpiece issue

damianb
24-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Damian, Might be worth your while having a chat to Baz (Barry Hallet) At SXD (Southern Cross Divers) in Sydney. I understand he has had a lot of success fitting the Hollis Prism 2 BOV to the JJ-CCR and sells it as a kit for direct replacement. It's not CE'd for use past 40m, but then the Shrimp isn't CE'd at all and reportedly the Hollis BOV offers a quite good WOB in OC mode, unlike the Shrimp.

Cheers. I'll look into this!

Mark Chase
24-02-2016, 10:20 AM
I have suffered water ingress many many times and its was all down to the mouthpiece

The only reasion its an issue on the JJ where its not on other units is the JJ seems to make a small amount of water ingress feel like a lot?

It gurgles and booms (CCR divers will know what I mean) far worse than other CCR with simila ingress issues and going flat always lets cleared water back into the loop so its again much more noticable than on a unit like the Inspo with large lungs where cleared loop water stays in the lungs during deco and dosen't cause a problem.

I dont know why this should be linked to the Shrimp? I had the same problem with the origional JJ BOV

ATB

nickb
24-02-2016, 04:28 PM
I dont know why this should be linked to the Shrimp? I had the same problem with the origional JJ BOVIt happens with the DSV too. Messes with my Feng-Shui big time. Easy enough to clear out the exhale lung though.

Mark Chase
24-02-2016, 05:47 PM
It happens with the DSV too. Messes with my Feng-Shui big time. Easy enough to clear out the exhale lung though.

Id be interested to know your techneque for clearing the lung nick. I found going vertical and overinflating the CLS to perge it out the OPV works well deep but shalow (6m) I strugle with the boyancy thing doing it this way.

I tried pulling the OPV string (when i cna find the damed thing) but seemed to let in as much water as I was trying to get out :D

I tend to do my last purge on the 21m stop on the line and then give up due to shalow boyancy issues, but if thers a way of doing it I havent tried yet id love to try it out.

ATB

Mark

nickb
24-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Id be interested to know your techneque for clearing the lung nick. I found going vertical and overinflating the CLS to perge it out the OPV works well deep but shalow (6m) I strugle with the boyancy thing doing it this way.

I tried pulling the OPV string (when i cna find the damed thing) but seemed to let in as much water as I was trying to get out :D

I tend to do my last purge on the 21m stop on the line and then give up due to shalow boyancy issues, but if thers a way of doing it I havent tried yet id love to try it out.I used to do all sorts of contortionism until DaveT advised just rolling to the right so that the dump is underneath. Doing this and giving a bit of a blow seems to work OK.

Water shouldn't get in as there's an umbrella valve inside the dump. Take the outside bit off and make sure yours is seated correctly, it might be knackered.

Finding it should be easy enough if you've got a retaining loop on the wing. I don't know if you bought the wing with your JJ or use an aftermarket one but I think they came without a retaining loop at first.

I stitched a bit on narrow webbing on the Halcyon wing I used to use. The new wing that comes with the DiveCAN unit is very nice.

Elvis
14-03-2017, 05:24 PM
I'm only 10 hours in on the JJ, one thing I have found is that if the shrimp isn't absolutely fully turned to CC then it injects gas into the loop (I can hear it without a hood, dunno if I could with), this also leads to some water ingress (because it's salty), weirdly I didn't have this with my *other* shrimp on my Vision (going to try and swap them) so I don't know if it's a JJ thing (can't see how) or just this particular shrimp.

Quite apart from that the JJ does seem to be more gurgly or at least as Mark says once clear of the loop if you bottom the lungs it pushes water back into the loop (not salty this time).

Still enjoying it over the Vision.

Baron015
14-03-2017, 08:21 PM
It was also really gurgley until I changed the mouthpiece for a stiffer one (I use the Divex) and used double cable ties with metal tongue to really seal the mouthpiece on tight. Stopped the gurgling completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk