PDA

View Full Version : Ignoring a lot of factors. Which CCR's are more travel friendly than others?

Phate
19-01-2016, 12:04 AM
Hi all,

I'm not CCR diving (yet) as you all know. But being someone who A) likes to travel and B) likes to dive and C) likes to combine A & B it got me thinking about which CCR's are friendly to travel with and which ones are not?

I know of the Pelagian and it being lightweight and travel friendly. I was wondering about others? I've seen Mr Chase's post about the JJ fitting in an overhead bag (for example)

TIA!

MikeF
19-01-2016, 12:23 AM
look at the ISC pathfinder.

saying that I just stick my rebreather in a large suitcase, shut the lid, wheel it to the check-in desk and take the head in hand luggage. I find travelling with a rebreather isn't that much of a drama if I stick it in the hold inside a case.

IanB
19-01-2016, 02:44 AM
Hi all,

I'm not CCR diving (yet) as you all know. But being someone who A) likes to travel and B) likes to dive and C) likes to combine A & B it got me thinking about which CCR's are friendly to travel with and which ones are not?

I know of the Pelagian and it being lightweight and travel friendly. I was wondering about others? I've seen Mr Chase's post about the JJ fitting in an overhead bag (for example)

TIA!Sorry I did not intend to hit dislike, struggling with the laptop touchpad a bit. Can't see a way to undo.

turnerjd
19-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Talk to Dan? Reynolds in Cambridge. The Lungfish rebreather is new, looks good, and is designed for travel.

Link: http://divelungfish.com/products/

I talked to them at the Paris show, and if you are not into techie deep stuff, then this looks like being a good compromise.

Jon

Paul Evans
19-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Next time your back contact Dennis Vessey (Meg UK) I'm sure he would be happy to take you through the pathfinder, lovely bit of kit.

And contact Mark Ellyat about the Pelagian, another nice bit of kit, very light and compact, I had the run down on it from Andy year ago in the RS.

OutOfTest
19-01-2016, 08:10 AM
A sidemount one.

No heavy backplate. Most are plastic. Don't require special sized cylinders once you get where you're going. Counterlungs are very lightweight.

I bet my sidemount unit without sorb in it weighs about 6-8kg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave1w
19-01-2016, 08:20 AM
The Kiss Spirit LTE is tiny and great for travelling, but saying that most of my JJ will go in my carry on bag.

londonsean69
19-01-2016, 08:33 AM
The Kiss Spirit LTE is tiny and great for travelling

Ooooh, I like the look of that!

nickb
19-01-2016, 09:18 AM
You'd need to be pretty flush to buy a CCR just for travel. You may well compromise the rest of your diving solely to buy the most travel-friendly one.

I'm with Mike - buy the rebreather that suits the majority of your diving and take the hit on the travel hassles. Having said that, my JJ with an aluminium backplate and no cylinders comes in under 23kg packed.

notdeadyet
19-01-2016, 09:34 AM
I'd agree, buy what suits you and your diving. I'd also say stick to a mainstream unit as you're more likely to find other people using it (good for spares, you'll never carry everything you need), it'll be very well proven, more than likely had some form of standard testing and find it better supported. You arent paying to be someone else's crash test dummy either.

The Pelagian may well be a good travel unit but when I tried buying some parts the delays and, to be honest, disinterest from the maker made me glad I didnt have a full unit.

For information, my Classic KISS weighed in at 17kg without a backplate or cylinders.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Jackdiver
19-01-2016, 10:05 AM
I just put my Sentinel in a suitcase and check it in.
Sentinel (inc head), steel backplate and suitcase is less than 28kg.

Timw
19-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Standard Meg in a pelican case comes in at 22kg with a bov and a handful of spares and batteries etc - so about 17kg for the meg alone - no wing or plate - that's in another bag. Could pack it complete in a lighter case under 23kg (the magic 50lbs for US airlines). Meg15 is about the same. Shorter cave can with mounts shaves a kg off.
The pathfinder comes in around 15-16kg all in.

jturner
19-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Like I said in the other place, an Evolution is pretty small and light and provided you get rid of the yellow box, packs down pretty small. There's lots of them about and they're pretty easy to look after too.

turnerjd
19-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Like I said in the other place, an Evolution is pretty small and light and provided you get rid of the yellow box, packs down pretty small. There's lots of them about and they're pretty easy to look after too.

And, as they are so common, spares are also more readily available, and when they aren't available you have APD's renowned after sales service.

Jon

iamyourgasman
19-01-2016, 02:03 PM
My rEvo mini went in the overhead locker to Egypt and was checked in under 23kg with a wetsuit wrap and some other bits to the US in a duffel bag. The microFT in titanium is lovely and even smaller&lighter that's why it's very popular for those traveling or diving primarily in warm climates. If you use it as an mCCR there is hardly anything which can go wrong either with it. But I'm with the others, find the unit you like for your diving and just pay the excess fees if you have to (unlikely with careful packing, with the exception of the Sentinel).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Major Clanger
19-01-2016, 08:44 PM
As before, buy one and buy well, for all needs. The Pathfinder is a lovely bit of kit but rated to 60m so no good for deeper stuff.

http://www.megccr.com/rebreather-products/pathfinder-rebreather/

Mark Chase
19-01-2016, 09:25 PM
The Kiss Spirit LTE is tiny and great for travelling, but saying that most of my JJ will go in my carry on bag.

All of my JJ goes in the carry on bag except the stand

Including the wing and back plate

Thats why I baught it

There are lighter units but non id rather dive

ATB

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/2015-04-30%2014.57.28_zpsfztekvmp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/2015-04-30%2014.58.35_zps04uneibw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/2015-04-30%2015.01.18_zps5rplblwk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/2015-04-30%2015.02.55_zps9bu9o59z.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/2015-04-30%2018.09.27_zpstyotsd7y.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/2015-04-30%2018.09.38_zpspjanyf7s.jpg

MikeF
19-01-2016, 10:12 PM
a mate of mine has just taken delivery of a pathfinder and as a size comparison here it is next to his vision.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b487/mikeferguson65/IMG_1175_zpsjppcfief.jpg (http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/mikeferguson65/media/IMG_1175_zpsjppcfief.jpg.html)

Simon TW
19-01-2016, 10:24 PM
rEvo Micro. it's not just about getting a small light unit. It also needs to be up to the job and reliable.

It's the only rebreather that you will ever need.

If you want to try one give me or Barry White a shout.

Phate
20-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the advice all. Good valid points about buying what suits your diving and then travelling with it, definitely something to take into consideration.

Mark Chase - those photos alone make the JJ so appealing. I'm yet to try any CCR units, but the JJ is definitely on my to try list.

The pathfinder looks nice (I've also had a very good snoop around a friends Meg, so have seen build quality samples) but the 60m limit will be an issue after a while. That's my current limit and I'll definitely want to go deeper in the future.

Phate
20-01-2016, 07:37 AM
rEvo Micro. it's not just about getting a small light unit. It also needs to be up to the job and reliable.

It's the only rebreather that you will ever need.

If you want to try one give me or Barry White a shout.

Thank you, I'll take you up on that at some point. Won't be until august-ish though at the earliest :)

I need to do some reading on the rEvo :)

Mark Chase
20-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the advice all. Good valid points about buying what suits your diving and then travelling with it, definitely something to take into consideration.

Mark Chase - those photos alone make the JJ so appealing. I'm yet to try any CCR units, but the JJ is definitely on my to try list.

The pathfinder looks nice (I've also had a very good snoop around a friends Meg, so have seen build quality samples) but the 60m limit will be an issue after a while. That's my current limit and I'll definitely want to go deeper in the future.

Remeber travel freindly is not just about getting in on an aircraft but it is a BIG factor in the equation.

The cost of excess baggage thease days makes getting the unit in the overhead locker a major pluss point the other factor being when you arrive at your destonation you have a working rebreather 100% defanite The rest of my geer is replacable hireable but the CCR just is not.

Standing by the carrosell waiting for the CCR to come out and then seeing if its been smashed or not is an agonising period an any traveling CCR divers life

Traveling london-Miami-Miami-Mexico with a CCR IMHO you have a 80/20 chance of your unit being there when you turn up

Last time we were there it was fortunate we had hired a rental car from the airport as one Inspo was aparently on the next flight out? Having it sit at the airport whilst we arranged somone to go pic it up was NOT something id like to do. Standing at the gate waiting for it to land at least put some presure on the baggage handlers not ot nick it.

SO yes transport logistics are a big issue.

The next is reliabuility of the unit, redundancy options and in field repair of the unit.

My JJ has a needle vale to replace the manual 02 add. If the solinoid failed or the hand set flooded I could carry on diveing with just the needle valve and the HUD. Not ideal but if I just spent 6000 flying out to Truck id damed well do it.

That said the unit has been very solid. I found a version of the software that i liked and havent upgraded sinse. It just works. I have had a pezo switch failure I fixed / botched with a soldering iron. I had a solinoid fail I fixed running low set point and manual add, I had a UD fail I had to have replace. Thats since 2010 when i baught it. I have had a few neg test issues I worked arround

None of them stoped me diveing.

IMHO the best two units for redundancy and in field repair are the rEvo and the KISS

The rEvo is triple redundent and the Hybrid doesnt limit anything so a very solid choice. Replaceing any component on a revo is a doddle in the field and having a spare is also a doddle. I run a stand alone Sheerwater Persuit with Fisher conector. I can have a cable rigged up s if my primary hard wired Sheerwater failed on my rEvo I could simply plug in my back up.

HOWEVER

The Mini I had is a sod to get on a plane as overhead luggage. It doesent fit inside a bag which conforms to the regs. Many have had slips made which slide over the unit and used the straps like a ruck sack but it atracts to much attention and the weight WILL be checked.

I have got my 20Kg JJ on 15 and even a 5kg limit overhead but thats simply not going to happen with the rEvo Mini

The other problem with the mini is its damed heavy and in the water its two heavy for a wet suit or even light weight dry suit and base layer rig I use in Maxico for cave diveing in 20c water

The rEvo Micro is a proper sized travel unit but the work of breathing is not as good and it is so small that for general use I thaught it was a bit of a pain. Id get this fantastic unit as a travel only unit (infact i have been on the look out for S/h cheep ones) but I wouldent use it for multi tank deep UK diveing.

The KISS on the other hand is a very good UK unit and theres now multiple travel frames which make it very very travel freindly. Even more so than the JJ because I can have an entire KISS Kidney control head in my pocket which weighs nothing and cost me 500.

I apreciate the KISS is MCCR and that might not apeal but its a unit that travels well, dosent look expensive, can be fixed with a hammer and gaffer tape

I did fit my KISS in a overhead bag with the standard ali back box but it was actualy slightly bigger than the oficial max overhead bag

gordyp
20-01-2016, 10:08 AM
The rEvo Micro is a proper sized travel unit but the work of breathing is not as good and it is so small that for general use I thaught it was a bit of a pain. Id get this fantastic unit as a travel only unit (infact i have been on the look out for S/h cheep ones) but I wouldent use it for multi tank deep UK diveing.

My own unit is a Revo standard, I have used the Micro albeit in warm water on 80-100m dives and didn't notice any difference in work of breathing, it is as you say slightly more difficult as far as kitting up goes but I guess you could have a stand.

Mark Chase
20-01-2016, 11:21 AM
My own unit is a Revo standard, I have used the Micro albeit in warm water on 80-100m dives and didn't notice any difference in work of breathing, it is as you say slightly more difficult as far as kitting up goes but I guess you could have a stand.

The Ansti test data is out there i beleive

to the best of my knowladge you cant get the Micro past CE testing for this reasion but Paull will probably put me streight on that.

BUT its not my main concern. The WOB os probably better than the KISS??? I dont know but the KISS isnt renowned for a good WOB

My main concern is as a rig its not realy optimal for multi deco tank UK boat diveing which is 90% of my diveing.

I have dived with Dave Robbins who used a Sport Kiss ofr 80m dives many many times but he wouldent argue its an optimal unit to do this on.#

If I were after a travel only unit? yes a rEvo Micro would be at the top of my list but as I say it has to be better suited to the other 90% of my diveing

ATB

Phate
20-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Wob?

Darren A
20-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Wob?

Not sure you are ready for a RB yet :)

londonsean69
20-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Wob?

Work Of Breathing

Phate
20-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Not sure you are ready for a RB yet :)

My Google time is limited ;)

Work Of Breathing

Thank you sir!

Lanny
22-01-2016, 04:06 AM
SF2 is a very nice unit for travel - even comes with a compartmentalised and padded North Face style duffle and is less than 20kg. I like my JJ, but the horrible stand makes it a bitch to travel with.

Mark Chase
22-01-2016, 07:19 AM
SF2 is a very nice unit for travel - even comes with a compartmentalised and padded North Face style duffle and is less than 20kg. I like my JJ, but the horrible stand makes it a bitch to travel with.

Yes but we all end up buying aftermarket stands for our units because they dont work well without them

The JJ stand is easily detachable and can go in hold luggage. If you lose the stand your n oworse off than you would be with a meg or kiss without a stand.

Stand i had to put on my rEvo mini to make it usable

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/AAA%20talk/rEvoStand1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/KISS%20MCCR/rEvoStand2.jpg

Stand I had to put on the KISS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/AAA%20talk/KISSSSBox.jpg

Inspo travel unit and stand

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/line%20artical/CCR5.jpg

Howard diveing my lightweight Inspo travel unit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/Mexico09/report13.jpg

JJ stand

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/Dive%20Kit/2014-10-14102930_zps8c7545c6.jpg

nickb
22-01-2016, 12:14 PM
SF2 is a very nice unit for travel - even comes with a compartmentalised and padded North Face style duffle and is less than 20kg. I like my JJ, but the horrible stand makes it a bitch to travel with.The stand takes less that 3 minutes to remove. As Chasey says, without it you're in the same position as most other CCR users with stock units.

There are plenty of travel stands now available for the JJ but I have no problem travelling with the standard one as it takes-up next to no volume and stuff can be folded up within and around it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4996887/Packing%20JJ%201.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4996887/Packing%20JJ%202.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4996887/Packing%20JJ%203.jpg

Major Clanger
22-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Though I use a different unit and love it, the JJ wins hands down in so many ways over many other units I've seen.

Phate
28-01-2016, 03:54 AM
OK been doing some reading up on the rEvo. Looks like a superb unit, although not sure how well it'll travel yet with the big frame. Anyone travelled with one much and can offer any input/experience?

It's on the list of breathers to try out along with the AP Evo and JJ.

Dr Dundee
17-08-2016, 10:15 AM
I have the micro FT and it fits into a lightweight samsonite medium suitcase for travel. total under 20kg.

timmoranuk
12-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Hammerhead HOBO. The short delrin canister takes 2 and 2.5kg radial scrubbers. IMHO, build it with lightweight JZ system BMCLs, the Custom Diver S40 wing and aluminium backplate. Mine fits in a carry-on bag...

matt
13-10-2016, 08:26 PM
I don't get the point of post about "travel" rebreathers. Buy the one you like and take it with you. I've never put any part of the unit in my hand-luggage, just check it in.

I'd say the only real thing is whether or not you can get lime, HP O2 and suitable cylinders at your destination - those are the real questions if you want to travel with it. Being able to fit an ali-pony with a regular-valve would be nice/most flexible option - but most destinations I have been either have inspo cylinders as they are catering for rebreather divers (hence they also have some form of lime and some form of 100% O2). If you can't get O2 then none of the units are much cop.

Matt.

Capt Morgan
13-10-2016, 10:15 PM
Has anyone ever had trouble getting through security with a rebreather in carry on luggage ?

AndrewR
14-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I took a JJ through Heathrow and Sri Lanka as hand luggage. No problems. Certainly at Heathrow if you give the guys a heads up and say there's dive kit in that one ie torches / flashlights, it speeds things up.

fibre
14-10-2016, 12:16 PM
I took a JJ through Heathrow and Sri Lanka as hand luggage. No problems. Certainly at Heathrow if you give the guys a heads up and say there's dive kit in that one ie torches / flashlights, it speeds things up.

Agree on that one, although they then start to ask question about how it works etc...

The only issues I know of rebreathers being damaged was by the TSA. On a trip last year one guy had some of his cables destroyed by them. I've also heard of holes being made in counterlungs. For some reason Miami gets mentioned as a problem airport.

MikeF
14-10-2016, 08:42 PM
I've also heard of holes being made in counterlungs. For some reason Miami gets mentioned as a problem airport.

Had that one going through Guam (luckily it was on the way home), I presume they are poking things with a sharp probe to see if there's anything inside. They also unscrewed all the hoses on my first stages and just put them back on finger tight on the way out. Probably best to avoid any destination that involves the US and TSA if you can.

Mikael
17-10-2016, 11:17 PM
...The rEvo Micro is a proper sized travel unit but the work of breathing is not as good and it is so small that for general use I thaught it was a bit of a pain. Id get this fantastic unit as a travel only unit (infact i have been on the look out for S/h cheep ones) but I wouldent use it for multi tank deep UK diveing.

My main concern is as a rig its not realy optimal for multi deco tank UK boat diveing which is 90% of my diveing.
.... it has to be better suited to the other 90% of my diveing

Yes but we all end up buying aftermarket stands for our units because they dont work well without them
Stand i had to put on my rEvo mini to make it usable

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/AAA%20talk/rEvoStand1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/MarkChase/KISS%20MCCR/rEvoStand2.jpg

Mark and Gordy can you please elaborate on the rEvo issues when using the smaller models for UK diving? The above suggests kitting up so I above guessing the shorter models need a stand to take the weight while you are sitting on the bench waiting to jump in.

In terms of multiple cylinders where do you normally clip these off if you don't have a stand as all three models look similar around the base in design.

EngelenD
18-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Mark and Gordy can you please elaborate on the rEvo issues when using the smaller models for UK diving? The above suggests kitting up so I above guessing the shorter models need a stand to take the weight while you are sitting on the bench waiting to jump in.

In terms of multiple cylinders where do you normally clip these off if you don't have a stand as all three models look similar around the base in design.

I Dived a standard before and now a micro. Don't see why it wouldn't fit for UK diving. The lung volume is the same . I used PLDT stand but sold it. I now use the revo butt plate which works fine for me, less "but heavy"
No problem kitting up either, I just leave the straps a little longer and pull them tight when I stand up while pusching the revo up with one hand .

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

gordyp
19-10-2016, 10:14 AM

On all three different sized units any offboard cylinders are clipped onto the harness. The only issue I can see in respect of UK diving with the Mini or Micro units is that it would be helpful to have a stand for kitting up purposes whilst sitting down. If you're doing the majority of your dives in the UK then I'd go for the Standard.

There is a difference in lung volume between the units, however I have dived all three multiple times and haven't noticed any difference in diving the unit in terms of work of breathing or anything else underwater. Deep dives I've done using the Micro were in warm water where I was clipping bailout on on a swim deck whilst stood up, no kitting issues there.

WFO
20-10-2016, 09:09 AM
It is pretty handy to have a stand for clipping the back of cylinders to.

Mikael
22-10-2016, 05:31 PM
On all three different sized units any offboard cylinders are clipped onto the harness. The only issue I can see in respect of UK diving with the Mini or Micro units is that it would be helpful to have a stand for kitting up purposes whilst sitting down. If you're doing the majority of your dives in the UK then I'd go for the Standard.

There is a difference in lung volume between the units, however I have dived all three multiple times and haven't noticed any difference in diving the unit in terms of work of breathing or anything else underwater. Deep dives I've done using the Micro were in warm water where I was clipping bailout on on a swim deck whilst stood up, no kitting issues there.

Surely cost aside getting micro with stand would give you best of both worlds? Take stand off for easy travel, stand on for UK diving. rEvo is plenty negative as it is so the slightly lighter titanium frame would be offset by the stand. Extra weight attached the top perhaps to help trim it out?

How about the white plastic extending back frame seen in some photos? Does the shorter mirco give back pain issues or something if used without a stand?

Are you more restricted on cylinder choice on the mirco over the standard?

WFO
22-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Why not make a stand that goes together ikea flat pack style for travel?