PDA

View Full Version : drager buying out poseidon

Ozzydamo
20-11-2015, 01:46 PM
I heard on the grapevine from a person in know that Drager is buying up Poseidon, so it might lead to better priced consumables for MK6/7 owners. See how it goes. Anyone else have any info, please lets have it.

notdeadyet
20-11-2015, 01:50 PM
I heard on the grapevine from a person in know that Drager is buying up Poseidon, so it might lead to better priced consumables for MK6/7 owners. See how it goes. Anyone else have any info, please lets have it.
Really? Draeger withdrew support from civilian rebreathers years ago. Why would you think they would support a failing recreational unit with a lot of accidents never mind bring down prices?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ebt
20-11-2015, 04:13 PM
If true, I'd predict the demise of the mk7...

Capt Morgan
20-11-2015, 04:24 PM
If true, I'd predict the demise of the mk7...

Did that not happen shortly after it's launch :giggle:

bottle maker
20-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Did not know there had been lots of Poseidon accidents I know of two deaths one through stupidity the other a heart attack. what other have there been?

Ozzydamo
21-11-2015, 01:54 PM
Really? Draeger withdrew support from civilian rebreathers years ago. Why would you think they would support a failing recreational unit with a lot of accidents never mind bring down prices?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Most probably because of the patented dual-sensor ‘active validation’ system that yields a single PO2 value for measuring oxygen in the loop.

notdeadyet
21-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Did not know there had been lots of Poseidon accidents I know of two deaths one through stupidity the other a heart attack. what other have there been?

Haven't there been a few near misses reported? And not very good reliability. That was a while ago, I don't really pay attention to the Poseidon reports. If Draeger have bought them then I wouldn't hold out hope for the Mk7, they've made their views on recreational rebreathers clear. Apart from the Inspo, the Dolphin must've been the most successful recreational rebreather around yet Draeger pulled the plug. If they want the two cell technology I'm sure they could've licensed it for less than buying the company, I'd guess they'd be more interested in Poseidon's other products like regulators. If they do want the patent I'd expect to see the Mk7 disappear because they'd obviously want it for one of their military units and not want to risk that by getting sued by the family of a Mk6/7 owner.

Ozzydamo
22-11-2015, 02:55 AM
Haven't there been a few near misses reported? And not very good reliability. That was a while ago, I don't really pay attention to the Poseidon reports. If Draeger have bought them then I wouldn't hold out hope for the Mk7, they've made their views on recreational rebreathers clear. Apart from the Inspo, the Dolphin must've been the most successful recreational rebreather around yet Draeger pulled the plug. If they want the two cell technology I'm sure they could've licensed it for less than buying the company, I'd guess they'd be more interested in Poseidon's other products like regulators. If they do want the patent I'd expect to see the Mk7 disappear because they'd obviously want it for one of their military units and not want to risk that by getting sued by the family of a Mk6/7 owner.

Yes, there regs are very valuable, especially to Military and Commercial interests. Maybe the primary intent is to graft the duo-sensor tech onto other makers units via licensing
- that's my best intuition on the matter. The knock on could be x-compatibility of the some the components for mk6/7 owners- that's my best hope, otherwise I think they'll mothball them making the units obsolete and without support, so diving them will become an insurance problem for some users. Having bought a mk6 fairly cheaply I'd have to suppose they'll be mothballed, I then hope they make available, reliable sensors at an affordable price.