PDA

View Full Version : Storage of dive lime/ sofnolime

oakridge4
20-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Hi how many store their scrubber lime indoors in the freezing weather. I do not recall it being taught on Mod 1 but that is not to say it was not. i have heard it said on the Irish forum as to not store in the garage during cold spells. I understand that keeping the scrubber sealed when storing partial used lime is to maintain the moisture content, and as such ice crystals could potentially break down the sorb particle if freezing occurs, but I would be surprised if all the stocks in warehouses or other large suppliers would be kept in a heated room but I may be wrong. I have mine inside but I would just like to hear if this is the case with all out there. :)

Hot Totty
20-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Mine out in the outhouse, even had the breaver freeze a couple of years ago to no apparent detriment :)

jamesp
20-01-2013, 11:19 PM
there is a storage temperature range on the sofnolime keg, it tops at 38C but I cant read the minimum(its a +ve value) on the keg I`ve got at the side of the desk.

Scuttler
20-01-2013, 11:20 PM
I store mine in the hot tub then dry it out in the oven before use :angel:

Hot Totty
20-01-2013, 11:36 PM
I store mine in the hot tub then dry it out in the oven before use :angel:

Where talking sofnolime not coke ;)

Jackdiver
20-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Mine is always inside...

Manufacturers info...

"Storage of Sofnolime
When correctly stored, intact and unopened plastic containers of Sofnolime will maintain absorption capacity for five years. Sofnolime does not require any maintenance during storage but should be stored in a temperature range of 32 - 95°F (0 - 35°C). Storage at high temperatures or exposure to the heat of direct strong sunlight can result in reduced efficiency and service life due to moisture loss or uneven distribution of moisture. Containers must not be stored where they can become subject to the following: Direct strong sunlight; contact with or close to incompatible chemicals or acids; partial or total water immersion; atmospheres with abnormal concentrations of carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide or other acidic gases; freezing conditions; excessive stacking loads (two pallets is the maximum stacking height.)"

oakridge4
21-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Mine is always inside...

Manufacturers info...
Thanks Jack I see some don't is this from not knowing ?

Major Clanger
21-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I tend to err on the side of the manufacturers information being there for a good reason.

AMW
21-01-2013, 09:15 AM
The SDS for Molecular products 797 gives storage as 0 to 35C no sure what happens if it goes below this then back up in storage?
Andrew

nickb
21-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Mine's in my garage. Dunno what the minimum temp is in there but it's never below zero.

AMW
21-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I e-mailed Molecular Products Ltd for an answer see below.

Andrew

Dear Andrew

Freezing has a detrimental affect on the granules as the water in the Sofnolime freezes and expands. This will break up the granules and form more dust.

Please let me know if you need any further information and I will ask one of our technical team.

Kind regards

Customer Services Co-ordinator

Molecular Products Ltd
Parkway, Harlow Business Park
Harlow, Essex CM19 5FR

gordyp
21-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Keep it in the garage with one of those bar type greenhouse heaters, doesn't give off a huge amount of heat (or seem to use much juice) but keeps it above freezing and dries off my suit which is hung directly over it.

matt
24-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Keep mine inside in winter with the unit.

Matt.

Mike Dive
27-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi how many store their scrubber lime indoors in the freezing weather. I do not recall it being taught on Mod 1 but that is not to say it was not. i have heard it said on the Irish forum as to not store in the garage during cold spells. I understand that keeping the scrubber sealed when storing partial used lime is to maintain the moisture content, and as such ice crystals could potentially break down the sorb particle if freezing occurs, but I would be surprised if all the stocks in warehouses or other large suppliers would be kept in a heated room but I may be wrong. I have mine inside but I would just like to hear if this is the case with all out there. :)

The issue with freezing is not that the Sofnolime will always be damaged but that it can become damaged by ice crystal formation under some conditions that are hard to determine. Because the manufacturer cannot know the conditions during storage we cannot guarantee the performance once material has been frozen. The good news is that it take a long time (many hours) at temperatures significantly below 0°C to freeze significant amounts of the soda lime when stored in a solid volume of 5 to 25 litres.

The bad news is that as soda lime contains a lot of water –typically 12 to 20 % depending on the grade and application this initial water content is critical to its performance:

1) Small ice crystals can form inside the granules which can make the material crumble. If the structure is lost the soda lime will produce dust which increases the breathing resistance
2) or the material structure can cause it to become soft and crumble which can make it susceptible to water agglomeration of the particles and lead to gas channelling and premature breakthrough.
3) The other issue is that frozen soda lime cannot absorb carbon dioxide whilst frozen as the reaction requires liquid water to start an be maintained and it can take a long time (many hours) to thaw out in the middle of a large mass which is bad news if you start with a part frozen unit.

Hope this helps.

Markymark75
28-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Excluding the dust issue which should be fairly obvious, if a reaction starts (as it does on the pre-breathe), surely enough heat is generated (as the reaction is exothermic), to thaw any small frozen patches.

I'm no expert here - just thinking out loud...