PDA

View Full Version : Liquivision X1. How much to sell?

damianb
02-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Hi guys n girls. I am considering selling my X1. I'm a tad hesitant as I really like the computer. It's now been discontinued and wondered what I could expect selling it for. What would be a fair price?

Condition: It's around 3 years old, has a few hundred dives logged. It's in pretty good nick although has some very minor scratches on the screen. I've taken in to caves, mines, been to -73M in the ocean and its a solid reliable computer. It has never ever failed on me. You do have to remember to charge it though. It's on a X1 mount (bungee mount) and I have spare chargers including car charger.
It cost me just under grand all in when I bought it but what on earth could I expect to sell it for?

MattD
02-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Considering it is now discontinued, and there are good alternatives around. (Petrel, OSTC, Seabear, Xdeep etc) I would guess it's worth more to you than the actual value of a sale.

I think you would be looking at 250-300 as a fair price. But It will be worth the same to you as needing to buy a Petrel or similar, so worth 650 as it does pretty much the same job...

Mark Chase
02-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi guys n girls. I am considering selling my X1. I'm a tad hesitant as I really like the computer. It's now been discontinued and wondered what I could expect selling it for. What would be a fair price?

Condition: It's around 3 years old, has a few hundred dives logged. It's in pretty good nick although has some very minor scratches on the screen. I've taken in to caves, mines, been to -73M in the ocean and its a solid reliable computer. It has never ever failed on me. You do have to remember to charge it though. It's on a X1 mount (bungee mount) and I have spare chargers including car charger.
It cost me just under grand all in when I bought it but what on earth could I expect to sell it for?

Perhaps put it on Ebay with full disclosure and let the market decide for you

Personly I wouldn't go near one because of the non replacable battery but I am sure there are people out there who would risk it lasting a few more years if the price was right. Its a geat computer EXCEPT for the battery thing. I owned one breifly and wrote the KISS manual for it but mooved over to Sheerwater because of the recharging thing.

ATB

Mark

B

windymiller
02-11-2015, 04:56 PM
The last one I bought I paid about 250 for. That was a twin sensor model in good condition

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

turnerjd
02-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Sell it for a symbolic 1€....... To me!

Actually I don't know what it is worth. Sorry.

Rob Dobson
02-11-2015, 07:28 PM
I know that they are discontinued but are they still supported from a hardware perspective - I.e would the company that bought liquivision replace the battery for a fee? If not then it probably isn't worth very much and I'd hang onto it.

If out of warranty support work was still being offered for a reasonable fee then it would probably have some value. Limited of course by the newer, more feature rich, cheaper and warrantied modern alternatives.

Multideco is very good SW and I'm sure someone somewhere will be willing to buy it just for that.

JPTaylor
02-11-2015, 08:04 PM

Why are you considering selling it?

If it works use it. I have one (recondition replacement for origional unit), I'll continue to use it until it fails.

A friend's failed, sent back for repair, they tried a new battery but didn't work, got an Xeo at a very heavily discounted price as a replacement.

damianb
03-11-2015, 02:15 PM
V interesting Rob. Thanks for this.
I know that they are discontinued but are they still supported from a hardware perspective - I.e would the company that bought liquivision replace the battery for a fee? If not then it probably isn't worth very much and I'd hang onto it.

If out of warranty support work was still being offered for a reasonable fee then it would probably have some value. Limited of course by the newer, more feature rich, cheaper and warrantied modern alternatives.

Multideco is very good SW and I'm sure someone somewhere will be willing to buy it just for that.

damianb
03-11-2015, 02:19 PM
I have recently started to dive the JJ CCR which has a Shearwater handset. Getting used to it / familiar with it has been OK but I'm still not fluent (as I don't have my own unit just yet) and so wanted a matching computer for open circuit where I can learn familiarity and also use as an identical back up whilst diving the JJ CCR. It's as simple as that.
Why are you considering selling it?

If it works use it. I have one (recondition replacement for origional unit), I'll continue to use it until it fails.

A friend's failed, sent back for repair, they tried a new battery but didn't work, got an Xeo at a very heavily discounted price as a replacement.

SoggyBottoms
03-11-2015, 02:22 PM
the MultiDeco software alone cost 150 iirc and if you have a twin sensor they are very reliable.

Rob Dobson
03-11-2015, 02:42 PM

So they can still replace batteries? Huh, that's interesting. The battery is the thing that is most likely to go first and if that's covered then it should be easier to sell.

JPTaylor
03-11-2015, 10:47 PM
I have recently started to dive the JJ CCR which has a Shearwater handset. Getting used to it / familiar with it has been OK but I'm still not fluent (as I don't have my own unit just yet) and so wanted a matching computer for open circuit where I can learn familiarity and also use as an identical back up whilst diving the JJ CCR. It's as simple as that.

Why matching computers?

I dive an X1 + Vision electroincs both set to same GF, having different computers/software an advantage as different h/ware & s/ware but should give same results (a standalone is fine) .

Buddy dives a JJ with SW computer with an Xeo (X1 before) as a backup, again same GF so should produce similiar profile but different hardware & coded by different programmers.

If matching computers, you could develop the same fault in both computers....

JPTaylor
03-11-2015, 10:48 PM
So they can still replace batteries? Huh, that's interesting. The battery is the thing that is most likely to go first and if that's covered then it should be easier to sell.

Yes, they where only a few months ago....

damianb
04-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Yes, they where only a few months ago....

Ah interesting to know ref the batteries. So are we thinking circa 300 squid is a fair price?

JPTaylor
04-11-2015, 10:36 PM
Ah interesting to know ref the batteries. So are we thinking circa 300 squid is a fair price?

There is no fair price, it's only worth what someone's prepared to pay for it... put it up for sale & see what price you can get. Then decide if the price your offered is worth selling at.

damianb
05-11-2015, 07:52 AM
There is no fair price, it's only worth what someone's prepared to pay for it... put it up for sale & see what price you can get. Then decide if the price your offered is worth selling at.

Yeah I get this logic but wanted to evaluate whether there was a mean average in terms of what the X1's have been selling and therefore know it's a fair price. I am a sales guy by profession I suppose and spend my professional life driving up as much margin as I can get away with but when it comes to selling diving equipment I want to ensure the buyer is pleased and has purchased at market value, or perhaps a tad less :)
In summary - listening to some comments here it looks like (given the battery can be replaced by the manufacturer) that folk would be prepared to purchase for 300 - 350. That's pretty much one third of what I paid for it. It's a sting in the hoop but if that what's it's worth, that's what it's worth :)

MattD
05-11-2015, 07:55 AM
I'd try 300. It seems a price that's worth selling for. 250 and i'd more likely keep it as a spare. I have no logic behind that!