X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlexEliza
    New TDF Member
    • Jul 2015

Don't you just hate......

.....when your dive holiday gets cancelled!

All arranged to go to Egypt at the end of next month and now three people have pulled out, so the decision has been made to postpone until next year

So options are now (i) stamp my foot (a lot); (ii) go anyway on my own; (iii) find somewhere else exciting to go; or (iv) be incredibly sensible and focus on work (I have some big deadlines coming up for the end of October).

Option four is my least favourite but really would be the most sensible - it will be absolute chaos and so stressful having to get everything done prior to my leaving (I don't get to ignore those deadlines sadly!).

Still, I really was looking forward to going away and going diving again soon.....and it's hard always being so sensible or good!
  • smileydiver
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
    • Dec 2012

Go on your own, you can make new friends out there, thus increasing your holidaying friends network for future trips
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• AlexEliza
      New TDF Member
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by smileydiver
      Go on your own, you can make new friends out there, thus increasing your holidaying friends network for future trips
      I'm leaning towards that - although am thinking perhaps I should go somewhere else, and leave Egypt until I can go with the rest of the group. It won't be quite the same otherwise.

So need to start considering other destinations I guess....

Comment

• londonsean69
        Bacon fiend
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by AlexEliza
        I'm leaning towards that - although am thinking perhaps I should go somewhere else, and leave Egypt until I can go with the rest of the group. It won't be quite the same otherwise.

So need to start considering other destinations I guess....
        Go and dive with ScubaSue and PeeBee in Gozo. 2.5hr flight, plenty of easy shore dives where you can pick a depth, wrecks etc. ScubaSue is lovely and will happily sort out an AOW course for you.
        PeeBee is not so lovely (He knows I am only joking) He does lead photo courses and photo centric dives, if that is your thing.

http://www.thediveforum.com/member.php?1749-Pete-Bullen - PM him through his page
        Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Comment

• AlexEliza
          New TDF Member
          • Jul 2015

[QUOTE=londonsean69;264801]Go and dive with ScubaSue and PeeBee in Gozo. 2.5hr flight, plenty of easy shore dives where you can pick a depth, wrecks etc. ScubaSue is lovely and will happily sort out an AOW course for you.
          PeeBee is not so lovely (He knows I am only joking) He does lead photo courses and photo centric dives, if that is your thing.

Have done my AOW, am now thinking of joining BSAC and doing their sports diver course.... It's a shame that you can't do that on a holiday somewhere....

Comment

• londonsean69
            Bacon fiend
            • Dec 2012

Have done my AOW, am now thinking of joining BSAC and doing their sports diver course.... It's a shame that you can't do that on a holiday somewhere....
            Sorry, I got confused with another thread where someone was wanting to do AOW

I think there are BSAC centres where you can do Sports Diver. BSAC resort centres are what to look for.
            A very quick Google - http://www.atlantisgozo.com/bsac-cou...-diver-course/

However, I've never done a BSAC course in my life - those who have would be better placed to advise
            Sean

Comment

• Victoria
              TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Another vote for Peebee and ScubaSue and Gozo in general!

However, if you are keen to do your BSAC Sports Diver - I think Lanzarote could be a good place to do it. These guys seem to offer the SD course: http://www.calipso-diving.com/index.htm

Comment

• londonsean69
                Bacon fiend
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Victoria
                Another vote for Peebee and ScubaSue and Gozo in general!

However, if you are keen to do your BSAC Sports Diver - I think Lanzarote could be a good place to do it. These guys seem to offer the SD course: http://www.calipso-diving.com/index.htm
                Calipso are a great bunch, although Costa Teg can be quite quiet of an evening (then again, I've not been for a few years, so things might have changed)
                Sean

Comment

• AlexEliza
                  New TDF Member
                  • Jul 2015

That might be a solution then - doing the sports diver course on holiday (two birds with one stone) and then work on depth when I get back to the UK.

Diving in Lanzarote or Gozo has got to be warmer than the UK in any event.....and I get a holiday to look forward to as well

Comment

• Nickpicks
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

That might be a solution then - doing the sports diver course on holiday (two birds with one stone) and then work on depth when I get back to the UK.

Diving in Lanzarote or Gozo has got to be warmer than the UK in any event.....and I get a holiday to look forward to as well
                    Or, just do the fun diving on holiday, looking at interesting wrecks or sealife, then do the less interesting CBLs and drills on the SD course in the UK, during the winter, in Stoney Cove. Hmmm, I'm not selling that idea very well, am I?
                    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Comment

• Zubar
                      TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

StevieH can do you bsac courses out in sharm. He's based at reef oasis blue bay which is a lovely hotel. Stayed there several times.

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                        Established WTF Member
                        • Dec 2012

If you already have AOW, your club can do a cross-over course at minimal cost.
                        There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
                        Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• Yellowduke
                          TDF Member
                          • Dec 2014

Go solo that's what I do all the time. There are usually deals to be had.

Comment

• Edward3c
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Feb 2013

.....when your dive holiday gets cancelled!

All arranged to go to Egypt at the end of next month and now three people have pulled out, so the decision has been made to postpone until next year

So options are now (i) stamp my foot (a lot); (ii) go anyway on my own; (iii) find somewhere else exciting to go; or (iv) be incredibly sensible and focus on work (I have some big deadlines coming up for the end of October).

Option four is my least favourite but really would be the most sensible - it will be absolute chaos and so stressful having to get everything done prior to my leaving (I don't get to ignore those deadlines sadly!).

Still, I really was looking forward to going away and going diving again soon.....and it's hard always being so sensible or good!
                            Option 4 is pants, your boss would just get someone else if you got hit by a bus. Go diving instead.

Have you considered BSAC Thailand for your Sports Diver? I'm going end Nov/early Dec.

Comment

• AlexEliza
                              New TDF Member
                              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Edward3c
                              Have you considered BSAC Thailand for your Sports Diver? I'm going end Nov/early Dec.
                              I hadn't thought of Thailand but sounds divine. At the moment, anywhere with sunshine and hot weather sounds fantastic

Comment

Working...