PDA

View Full Version : Trimix suppliers in Scotland?

Dr Dundee
14-05-2015, 01:21 PM
HI,
Just wondering where you can get Trimix fills in Scotland?
C

Steve C
14-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Aberdeen Watersports? Unless things have changed dramatically...

... ok ...so I should have checked.. Now Core94 Watersports!

stuart_m
14-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Pretty sure K-Dive in sunny Coatbridge does Trimix. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone with much more knowledge will be along shortly to correct me.

Paulo
14-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Coltri sub mch6 = 1500 second hand
Blending whip = 200
Oxygen J = 60*
Helium J = 300*

Then feel free to knock yourself out

* my UK gas costs might be a little off

Dr Dundee
14-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks folks

Kermit
14-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Marine Quest in Eyemouth.

Hickdive
14-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Blending to the nearest chalk mark at K-Dive. Every mix lovingly hand-crafted out of the finest genuine diving grade Helium, Oxygen, and air. Come and admire the slatwall and have your rinkies dinkied by mom and pop.

Free rub down with an oily rag for every customer if you present this coupon;

notdeadyet
14-05-2015, 02:46 PM
C & C at Largs do helium if you pre-order, pay about 3 times what you would anywhere else and are happy to endure the most unhelpful shop on the planet.

Paulo
14-05-2015, 02:50 PM
C & C at Largs do helium if you pre-order, pay about 3 times what you would anywhere else and are happy to endure the most unhelpful shop on the planet.

They should use that in their blurb :D

MikeF
14-05-2015, 03:24 PM

have you ever been to puffin?

Woz
14-05-2015, 03:30 PM

A couple of our divers have been banned from Puffin. The owner is a legend in how not to treat customers!

notdeadyet
14-05-2015, 03:39 PM
They should use that in their blurb :D
I'm available for celebrity endorsements.

Not since getting caught filling three out of test twinsets linked by decanting hoses for 3 quid on the coin op panel.

Logun
14-05-2015, 07:21 PM
A couple of our divers have been banned from Puffin. The owner is a legend in how not to treat customers!

Ooh, please tell more. :D

Woz
15-05-2015, 09:41 AM
Ooh, please tell more. :D

It ended with a standoff in the car park with the owner stood in front of the minibus refusing to let it leave.

MikeF
15-05-2015, 09:51 AM
did they run over him? if not that's some self restraint from the driver.

one of my mates received a heap of abuse and was asked to leave the shop when he was about to buy a computer and had the temerity to ask if they would price match another shop.

Woz
15-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Ours started when one of our lot was asking to buy some lead and asked to use the calculator next to the till to work out how much he needed.

notdeadyet
15-05-2015, 10:27 AM
did they run over him? if not that's some self restraint from the driver.

one of my mates received a heap of abuse and was asked to leave the shop when he was about to buy a computer and had the temerity to ask if they would price match another shop.
Is that like Aquacon's price match where they factor in how much it would cost to go and get the item, your lunch cost, wear and tear on shoe leather and depreciation on your car as their counter offer then kick you out when you query it?

For a nation surrounded by water we have some shit dive shops.

Woz
15-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Is that like Aquacon's price match where they factor in how much it would cost to go and get the item, your lunch cost, wear and tear on shoe leather and depreciation on your car as their counter offer then kick you out when you query it?

I've never experienced Aquatron but don't they refuse to fill any nitrox cylinder not cleaned by them? If someone was in a particularly revengeful mood, you could flood eBay with fake Aquatron VIP stickers so they wouldn't know which were real and which were fake... yes I am evil.

http://images.moviefanatic.com/iu/t_full/v1364990936/dr-evil.jpg

stuart_m
15-05-2015, 10:46 AM
I've never experienced Aquatron but don't they refuse to fill any nitrox cylinder not cleaned by them? If someone was in a particularly revengeful mood, you could flood eBay with fake Aquatron VIP stickers so they wouldn't know which were real and which were fake... yes I am evil.

http://images.moviefanatic.com/iu/t_full/v1364990936/dr-evil.jpg
That's the ones. It's a bit of a schizophrenic shop, the standard of service can be excellent and can be god-awful. Depends on who you get and what mood they're in.

ziggi
15-05-2015, 10:57 AM

I once got them to price match seaskin for an apeks dump valve, at 50% what the con wanted, ooh how i smiled... especially when they seen the free postage icon!

MikeF
15-05-2015, 10:57 AM

I blame it on the rinky dink, slatwall, mom & pop mentality of the industry

Paulo
15-05-2015, 11:12 AM

Probably because for decades they could do as they please as the alternative was hours away. Nowadays with tinterweb the next diveshop is only a postbox away

Woz
15-05-2015, 11:47 AM
That's the ones. It's a bit of a schizophrenic shop, the standard of service can be excellent and can be god-awful. Depends on who you get and what mood they're in.

It's like being in the 1980s all over again.

MikeF
15-05-2015, 12:09 PM
It's like being in the 1980s all over again.

but older, fatter and with more money and less patience for dealing with idiots

notdeadyet
15-05-2015, 01:10 PM
I blame it on the rinky dink, slatwall, mom & pop mentality of the industry
I'd actually agree with Father Jack in this case. Aquatron used to be an alright shop when it was run by the old geezer whose name escapes me and his son. A bit flaky but alright.

Then it got taken over by a bunch of PADI crackpots and truly went down the shitter.

notdeadyet
15-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Probably because for decades they could do as they please as the alternative was hours away. Nowadays with tinterweb the next diveshop is only a postbox away
Ironically, in the mid 90's I had about 9 shops within a 50-60min drive from my house.

iain/hsm
15-05-2015, 02:04 PM
I'd actually agree with Father Jack in this case. Aquatron used to be an alright shop when it was run by the old geezer whose name escapes me and his son.

About time you agreed with experience, your old enough to know better.
The names your groping for are Tom Young and the new boy Young Ronnie.

Never a patch on GMT Diving on St Vincent Street, Bill Gourley and the lovely Keran. :nod:

notdeadyet
15-05-2015, 03:09 PM
About time you agreed with experience, your old enough to know better.
The names your groping for are Tom Young and the new boy Young Ronnie.

Never a patch on GMT Diving on St Vincent Street, Bill Gourley and the lovely Keran. :nod:
Young Ronnie is about 5 years older than me :) Couldn't remember if it was Tom or Tony. Was he an ex-commie or something?

There was Muir Deas who used to make wetsuits on (IIRC) Jamaica Street as well, now long gone. He had a cupboard full of his, ahem, special order items.

Hickdive
15-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Keran - service with a grunt. Bought my first reg out of GMT.

iain/hsm
15-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Keran - service with a grunt. Bought my first reg out of GMT.

What was it? a SnarkII Silver ROFL
Or the Siebe Mistral with horns.

I wonder what she thought of you? can't see him ever running a dive shop. I guess. LOL

Dr Dundee
19-05-2015, 11:08 AM
Ah!
So K-Dive is your place Hickdive?

Dr Dundee
19-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Blending to the nearest chalk mark at K-Dive. Every mix lovingly hand-crafted out of the finest genuine diving grade Helium, Oxygen, and air. Come and admire the slatwall and have your rinkies dinkied by mom and pop.

Free rub down with an oily rag for every customer if you present this coupon;

DO you have a price list?

Hickdive
19-05-2015, 12:49 PM
DO you have a price list?

I try not to overstep the mark with advertising here however:

I charge 1.7 pence per litre for oxygen.

Helium is charged at 3.3 pence per litre.

Nitrox or Trimix mixes you pay for the gas required to make up your desired blend plus 5 for the air top off.

Air is available (and I can do Nitrox) to 300 bar.

And contrary to a certain person's assertion (Yes, I am looking at you Mr. Ferguson), all gas supplied is diving grade.

OutOfTest
19-05-2015, 01:55 PM
I remember once been told by SDS (not in Scotland)

"We can price match anywhere if you include their postage! Except for those online shops, they don't have the same costs we do"

So if you're the only local dive shop, and will price match anything except an online shop, how exactly are you price matching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeF
19-05-2015, 02:06 PM

Simon TW
19-05-2015, 02:19 PM
I try not to overstep the mark with advertising here however:

I charge 1.7 pence per litre for oxygen.

Helium is charged at 3.3 pence per litre.

Nitrox or Trimix mixes you pay for the gas required to make up your desired blend plus 5 for the air top off.

Air is available (and I can do Nitrox) to 300 bar.

And contrary to a certain person's assertion (Yes, I am looking at you Mr. Ferguson), all gas supplied is diving grade.

I'd bite your hand off at those prices.

CraigofScotland
19-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Most importantly . . there's only 1 shop in Glasgow where you can get a coffee and a tank filled after work at 8pm on a schoolnight.

Saves the lunchtime rush to a shop for a hot fill.

stuart_m
19-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Most importantly . . there's only 1 shop in Glasgow where you can get a coffee and a tank filled after work at 8pm on a schoolnight.

Saves the lunchtime rush to a shop for a hot fill.This is very true. There's also only one shop in Glasgow which will stay open late if you phone and tell them you can't make it by their usual closing time, and open specially when you forgot to get a fill before heading off somewhere exotic.

You don't get that kind of service from this new-fangled interweb thingy.

Hickdive
19-05-2015, 02:57 PM
So if you're the only local dive shop, and will price match anything except an online shop, how exactly are you price matching?

I'm getting perilously close to advertising here, for which I apologise but I don't recall ever saying the above.

However, if I can supply it I will price match, and generally beat, online shops.

The but (and there is always one) is that the price I'll match or beat is the online price inclusive of P&P. There are lots of places that will advertise an item with an RRP of 100 with a price of 50 and then, when you reach the check out, they charge you 50 P&P, leaving you paying 100 anyway.

OutOfTest
19-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah I think inclusive of P+P is entirely fair.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of price matching for reasons I shan't go into. But if people are going to advertise it, they should at least stick by it.

Personally I try and buy as much stuff as I can from go-dive.
Compared to SDS its:
- 30 min longer drive
- shorter opening hours
- a tad more expensive

But it's amazing service, advice, large range of stock that's actually in stock makes it a hands down winner for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hickdive
19-05-2015, 03:06 PM
I'd bite your hand off at those prices.

If you want cheap gas for personal use, not resale, then Dixons of Westerhope http://www.dixonsgas.co.uk/ (they trade as SIG in Scotland) will do you laser-grade helium and welding oxy for not a lot of money and they're not up their own arses like BOC (though the guys at my local BOC yard are brand new, BOC, as an organisation, suck). Toddle round to their depot with proof of address and ID and your bank details and they'll set you up with an account there and then and help you load the gas into the back of an ordinary car.

For retail I've always used BOC diving grade but I never had a problem with laser-grade when I was using it personally.

hippytyre
19-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Dr Dundee, a friend and I are thinking about renting a bottle of helium between us. If you're CCR maybe we could work something out between us? We already have a booster and we're in Dundee (I'm assuming you're in Dundee too)

pacman
19-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Dr Dundee, a friend and I are thinking about renting a bottle of helium between us. If you're CCR maybe we could work something out between us? We already have a booster and we're in Dundee (I'm assuming you're in Dundee too)
Got room for another on this?
Would like to buy in if possible?
CCR with the occasional oc tmx dip.

Barrygoss
19-05-2015, 09:28 PM

At hickdive's prices it's not worth it. My LDS does helium at 2p : and O2 at the penny per litre then it's 3 for the fill. So I get the Twinset filled at 60 first fill then with the booster it runs at 10 a month in 15/55 diving every weekend.
I'd still do that at hickdive's prices, the only extra you have to watch for is the shiny on the slat wall ;) bolt snaps shout buy me :)

Hickdive's prices are decent, not worth the effort of trying to do more for yourself.

B

Iain Smith
19-05-2015, 09:39 PM
At hickdive's prices it's not worth it. My LDS does helium at 2p : and O2 at the penny per litre then it's 3 for the fill. So I get the Twinset filled at 60 first fill then with the booster it runs at 10 a month in 15/55 diving every weekend.
I'd still do that at hickdive's prices, the only extra you have to watch for is the shiny on the slat wall ;) bolt snaps shout buy me :)

Hickdive's prices are decent, not worth the effort of trying to do more for yourself.

B

Barry - you might want to look at a map. Dundee isn't really next door to Coatbridge...
(However, your point is valid - even though Steve has just given away the source of cheap gas for home blending, I'm probably still better getting occasional fills from him)

Barrygoss
19-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Barry - you might want to look at a map. Dundee isn't really next door to Coatbridge...
(However, your point is valid - even though Steve has just given away the source of cheap gas for home blending, I'm probably still better getting occasional fills from him)

Lol, your travel is offset by compressor purchase and running costs.

It's a no brainier, and actually, I deliberately use the LDS for this.
Yes I buy mix in the Twinset for home pumping and O2 in an 18 for the same from the LDS, but the LDS also gets all my purchases (Internet match) and when visiting I always grab about snap bolt or two. The LDS gets all my testing (there are places offering testing for less than half his price) but I get fills and because it's a symbiotic relationship, sometimes I get fills off the ranch ;)
But at hickdive's rates, I'd still do the same.

Support your LDS, and all that

B

pacman
19-05-2015, 10:02 PM
If I had the time to travel then it certainly would be a no brainer and have spoken to hickdive previously about it, unfortunately work and a young family dictate otherwise at the moment hence the home brew option. All my cylinders are tested by Malcolm over in Tarbert so I do try to support the good guys whenever possible.

diverdave
19-05-2015, 10:07 PM
I own half of hippytyre 's setup . We would use k dive if we were closer but if we are off we go diving rather than a day trip for gas . Work and young family also mean home brew is easier for now .

Dr Dundee
20-05-2015, 10:45 AM

I think it was your friend (Dave) I spoke to recently about O2. Is your place on Clepington RD?

Chris

hippytyre
20-05-2015, 11:11 AM
Yup that's me, hi Chris :-)

Garspeed
22-05-2015, 02:22 PM
You still get a beer in the clep bar with a pie from next door for lunch? Did 5 years mid 80's at bell street visiting graham street to do welding and fabrication once a week

Good days
Gar

Tens
22-05-2015, 02:54 PM
A happy 10 minutes can be had from reading Tripadvisor reports on Puffin. Strange that half of the reports are glowing, the other half are slightly not so. And for an insider's view, and a very disquieting one, how about this? http://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Puffin-Dive-Centre-Reviews-E607288.htm

hippytyre
22-05-2015, 03:03 PM
You still get a beer in the clep bar with a pie from next door for lunch? Did 5 years mid 80's at bell street visiting graham street to do welding and fabrication once a week

Good days
Gar
I wouldn't know. I have a garage here and have worked in Dundee for about 15 years but I really don't know the place very well.

hippytyre
22-05-2015, 03:06 PM
A happy 10 minutes can be had from reading Tripadvisor reports on Puffin. Strange that half of the reports are glowing, the other half are slightly not so. And for an insider's view, and a very disquieting one, how about this? http://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Puffin-Dive-Centre-Reviews-E607288.htm
This one is mine:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186501-d3219677-r246523688-Puffin_Dive_Centre-Oban_Argyll_and_Bute_Scotland.html#review246523688

Callum M

I don't think I was too harsh.