PDA

View Full Version : Which computer to buy

Gareth J
06-05-2015, 07:30 PM
My trusty Sun to Vytec has died (flooded).

I am looking for a new computer, a shearwater or OSTC.
I dive a vision, so upgradeable to CCR, or CCR compatable, switchable to OC for my overseas holiday diving.

I used the Suunto because it was easier to read depth and time on the Vytec than on the handset. So ease to read display for old eyes is important.
I do like the idea of a fully sealed unit that is accessed by blue tooth and inductively recharged (see flooding comment above).

Easy to operate with gloves would be a bonus too

Gareth

Paulo
06-05-2015, 07:51 PM
SW Petrel is pretty damn good IMHO

Rob Dobson
06-05-2015, 10:20 PM
I do like the idea of a fully sealed unit that is accessed by blue tooth and inductively recharged (see flooding comment above).

Sounds like the new OSTC 2 then unless Shearwater have something new which has passed me by.

I've not held an OSTC 2 yet so can't comment on the inductive charging or the new Piezo's or the Bluetooth, but it seems like it ticks all of your boxes.

Rob Dobson
27-05-2015, 12:23 AM
As an update to this I have been playing with the new OSTC 2 for the past week. It looks a lot like the OSTC 2c which it replaces, but upon close inspection they are not actually the same casing.

The new inductive (wireless) charging is pretty freaky at first but it works well and I am guessing we will soon get used to charging most things this way.

It seems as though the OSTC 2 is now using the faster CPU of the OSTC3 and has OSTC3 level of system resources for logbook etc (4mb of storage if I'm reading this one correctly which is a lot of space for dive data).

I still need to play with the Bluetooth when I get a moment.

It looks a nice solid unit which combines the OSTC 2c with OSTC3 in some ways and takes things forward by embracing the wireless technologies for data transfers and battery charging.

Price has gone up by 20 Euro which strangely makes the new OSTC 2 more expensive than the older OSTC3.

jturner
27-05-2015, 06:51 AM

I dive a vision, so upgradeable to CCR, or CCR compatable, switchable to OC for my overseas holiday diving.

I used the Suunto because it was easier to read depth and time on the Vytec than on the handset. So ease to read display for old eyes is important.

Gareth

FWIW and as an aside, you might find going with a Suunto a bit more tricky to get it roughly aligned with what your Vision is showing you. MrsT has a Helo2 and we had some fun and games when trying to match her profiles with mine on my Evolution/OSTC. YMMV; the Suunto DX is nice computer that's fine for what it does and I'm sure it's possible but a Buhlmann based system might be easier!

JPTaylor
27-05-2015, 06:54 AM

Gareth

Have you discounted simply getting another Suunto???? Assume your in gauge mode when diving your Vision & deco if for OC holiday diving?