PDA

View Full Version : Maine salcombe. Marks and local info?

BluDL
25-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Hi. Im too lazy to search. Anyone got reliable marks and tidal info and recommendations for diving the maine on fri 8th may I thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTS
25-04-2015, 04:27 PM
+ and - 3hrs Hw Salcombe, which is approx Devonport + 15 mins

You really need neaps, the 9th is coming off springs so you should be OK but doing two waves may be cutting it fine... decoing divers will shift a fair distance. Currents are strong and vary from top to bottom, Slack is usually around 40 mins at best....

HW on the 8th is approx 13:00 ish, I don't have my book with me so I may be half an hour or so out on the maths... which should put you on the wreck, ten-ish, put a shot in and watch the buoy, don't underestimate the speed the water shifts, don't be impatient...

Marks 50.12.750 - 03.50.960

Everything in this post is approximate, I am not responsible for you diving the reef next to the Maine... though it is a nice reef....

For a second dive there is a scattered wreck just outside the mouth of the estuary which is slack on high and low water in about 20M, The Soudan.... you will ping a couple of scattered lumps, the big one is the boiler, shot that...

BTS
25-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Thinking on, as there is no gas in Salcombe, launching and parking are on the expensive side of things I would launch at Mountbatten, Plymouth, the extra fuel will be saved in free launching and parking and not having to drive the plymouth to get gas if you are doing multiple days.... also gives many more options for a second dive....

BluDL
26-04-2015, 12:00 AM
Cheers. We are at mountbatten.

BluDL
26-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Do we need to obtain permission to dive it as i believe it belongs to torbay bsac?

BTS
26-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Do we need to obtain permission to dive it as i believe it belongs to torbay bsac?

No, the only time you ever need permission to dive a wreck is if it is under the control of trinity house, for example, the Emmstrom when its fate was yet to be decided or the Royal Navy/MOD, for example a war grave such as the Royal Oak...

Lots of wrecks are owned, the Bretagne, the Maine, the Riversdale, the Perrone to name but a few local ones.....

Of course if you take anything off the wreck then that is a different matter ;)

Energy58
30-04-2015, 08:44 AM
No, the only time you ever need permission to dive a wreck is if it is under the control of trinity house, for example, the Emmstrom when its fate was yet to be decided or the Royal Navy/MOD, for example a war grave such as the Royal Oak...

Lots of wrecks are owned, the Bretagne, the Maine, the Riversdale, the Perrone to name but a few local ones.....

Of course if you take anything off the wreck then that is a different matter ;)

They are all owned by someone - just that it is often hard to identify who :grin:

BTS
30-04-2015, 08:47 AM
They are all owned by someone - just that it is often hard to identify who :grin:

It isn't that difficult, usually it is Lloyds of London... ;)