PDA

View Full Version : trimix dive computer

chris&jess
23-12-2014, 04:11 AM
Christmas is nearly here :)

I'm in the process of retiring my Oceanic Veo 3 computer and am looking for a suitable replacement.

Ideally im after a comp that has a choice to run off the buhlmann 16c algorithm and has the ability to change the gradient factors.

At the moment im only diving with nitrox for the working pirtion if the dive and high O2 for deco. Its likely that in the next 18 to 24 months ill have a crack at tri mix so im going to spend a bit more money now to save having to retire the new DC when i make that step.

Does anyone have any recomendations? - I was looking at the Shearwater Petrel or liquivison Xeo. Im leaning towards the SW-P.

Its going to be a massive financial investment so any help is appreciated.

Chris

strattST
23-12-2014, 04:44 AM
Petrel all the way!

Very user friendly, easy to read at depth from various angles, user customisible (display, GFs), ability to unlock VPMB if you're that way inclined. Easy to use under water (gas switches etc).

Customer service is excellent too, cant rate the Petrel and Shearwater enough! you wont be disappointed.

Cheers,
Chris

timmyg
23-12-2014, 04:49 AM
+1 for the Petrel. I echo all the points above. If you're lucky you may find one cheaper as the 2 has just been released.

Theres plenty of reviews about but I did one on my blog at http://rectotec.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/shearwater-petrel-review.html?m=1

TG

Sent from my iPhone using Timmytalk (hopefully)

Spirit of Guernsey
23-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Ostc

gaius
23-12-2014, 06:54 AM
Petrel, for sure.

nigel hewitt
23-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Certainly consider the OSTC range.

chris&jess
23-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Thank you all for your help so far. I wo t be buying anything for a few weeks but i will keep my eye out for any potential jan savings. Thanks again, chris :)

Paulo
23-12-2014, 08:14 AM
If you know anyone going to the States they are much cheaper from divegeardirect.com I saved about 200 over the local price when I got mine

Johan
23-12-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a petrel and I'm very happy with it (mostly use it as a BT when doing more serious dives though). Great display, easy to change battery, easy to operate under water, great bottom timer mode ;), great support etc. It really has all the features you might want.

If I bought a new computer today I would however consider the OSTC3 too, looks really neat :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob Dobson
23-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Shearwaters are good but I would stay clear of Liquivision. I spoke to a friend in the states last night who has had nothing but grief since they were bought out. He is now looking to change to Shearwater or OSTC. He was coming over to Boot to buy an OSTC but he now has to go to Asia for work so Shearwater is looking more likely. I'm sure he'll be happy with either.

HeinrichsWeikamp have advised of new pricing to take effect in the new year. The OSTC3 is going to be a bit cheaper and the OSTC Sport is going to be a bit more expensive. OSTC 2c and OSTC cR pricing stays the same as far as I know.

dimitri
23-12-2014, 06:05 PM
I use an OSTC 2 and wouldn't change it - if I had to, I'd go for a Petrel.

Spirit of Guernsey
23-12-2014, 06:07 PM
I have been using an OSTC for a couple of years and like it so much that I bought one for the other arm.

PeterL
23-12-2014, 06:34 PM
I have been using an OSTC for a couple of years and like it so much that I bought one for the other arm.

And now I want it back :)

Paulo
23-12-2014, 07:26 PM
The arm?

Frappawotsit
23-12-2014, 07:37 PM
As you can see, both the Shearwater Petrel and the OSTC offerings are very very good. Both offer great products and great after sales service.

I personally like the OSTC range, The OSTC3 is a thing of beauty, and in an all metal case, beautiful size, user replaceable standard AA size battery. The OSTC 2c is chunkier, Rechargeable battery (Lasts forever) and is fully potted, meaning the internals are environmentally sealed so a case leak won't fry the unit and Piezo buttons.

I went for the OSTC 2c as i really liked it being fully potted and the rechargeable battery....

I have no experience of the SW Petrel, but i understand it's an excellent unit. It's perhaps a little chunky for my liking, but those that use it, love it.

If you have the chance to meet up with people and play with any you're interested in, i'd definitely recommend it, size, button style and layout varies slightly between them all, i genuinely think you'd be happy with any of them, but if you can play.... you'll probably find you're naturally drawn toward one over the others.

Spirit of Guernsey
23-12-2014, 09:33 PM
And now I want it back :)

I was robbed!

PeterL
23-12-2014, 09:38 PM
I was robbed!

?

Spirit of Guernsey
23-12-2014, 09:39 PM
?

Woz got one cheaper.

PeterL
23-12-2014, 09:40 PM
We all know how tight woz is..... It's not patience, it's pathology.... :D

Spirit of Guernsey
23-12-2014, 09:43 PM
We all know how tight woz is..... It's not patience, it's pathology.... :D

There is an unsubstantiated rumour that his drysuit was a bit cheap too.

flyingfisheye
23-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Petrel all the way, or spend more buy a cheap VR3 and then buy a petrel ;-)

Woz
24-12-2014, 07:25 AM
There is an unsubstantiated rumour that his drysuit was a bit cheap too.

It was. Need a reminder?

Deep Ideas
01-01-2015, 04:45 PM
HeinrichsWeikamp have advised of new pricing to take effect in the new year. The OSTC3 is going to be a bit cheaper and the OSTC Sport is going to be a bit more expensive. OSTC 2c and OSTC cR pricing stays the same as far as I know.
For the record, the OSTC3 has dropped to the same price as the OSTC 2C (595) whilst the OSTC Sport has increased slightly (to 435).

Redshift
24-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Since this crowd is more Europe centred than on other forums, I thought I'd ask about a couple other computers out there.
I know the Petrel is maybe the best rated at the moment and everybody is pleased with it. I'm glad to also have seen people pleased with the OSTC, so that one goes into consideration.

Now what about the xDeep black? As a new product they did have some hiccups with its software, but everything is apparently working fine now? And they did have (still have?) a huge delay in their deliveries. If those have been resolved, it looks really nice. Compact, nice features, certified to 200m (so I expect it to be sturdy)...

And does anyone have any experience with the Divesoft Freedom? Not as pretty, colour display, but TFT, rugged (300m and tested to 600) and cheaper.

John_ZA
24-01-2015, 12:10 PM
And does anyone have any experience with the Divesoft Freedom? Not as pretty, colour display, but TFT, rugged (300m and tested to 600) and cheaper.

Doesn't seem as though they have any dive log software other than downloading to wetnotes.com, which means more fractured dive logs.

Rob Dobson
24-01-2015, 01:47 PM

If it's the one I'm thinking of I was given one to play with over the EuroTek weekend. The UI seemed completely cack handed / not intuitive and it didn't support passive isolation. I didn't check the viewing angle but I suspected that the screen wasn't optically bonded.

Other than that....

I do find these depth claims interesting though. Which depth sensors are they using and which algorithm are they running? And certified or self certified and to which standard?

Redshift
24-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Was it this one?

http://www.divesoft.cz/data/images/zbozi/big/freedom1tmx.jpg

Well, the algorithm is ZHL-16 with GF, similar to the others. So, if it's consistent with the other computers and planning software in more accessible ranges, then I'm ok with it. Of course never expected it to perform at 300m. The depth rating was mentioned because I liked it to the build quality. At least I hope it's rugged and won't leak or have problems with buttons, etc at shallower depths. But it appears to be the weakest of them...

On that maximum depth subject, why are other computers limited to 120m (OSTC) and 130m (I think, for the Predator)? Is it a physical limited dictated by the construction or a limit for the accuracy of depth measurement or the algorithm?

Simon A
24-01-2015, 03:42 PM
The divesoft freedom does the job, and is perfectly useable little computer, but I find myself looking much more at the predator or OSTC on the other wrist.
If you're after a divesoft Freedom, I've got one that's unlocked for CCR that is currently surplus to requirements (due to having a Predator and an OSTC).

Simon A

Rob Dobson
24-01-2015, 05:24 PM
Was it this one?

http://www.divesoft.cz/data/images/zbozi/big/freedom1tmx.jpg

Well, the algorithm is ZHL-16 with GF, similar to the others. So, if it's consistent with the other computers and planning software in more accessible ranges, then I'm ok with it. Of course never expected it to perform at 300m. The depth rating was mentioned because I liked it to the build quality. At least I hope it's rugged and won't leak or have problems with buttons, etc at shallower depths. But it appears to be the weakest of them...

On that maximum depth subject, why are other computers limited to 120m (OSTC) and 130m (I think, for the Predator)? Is it a physical limited dictated by the construction or a limit for the accuracy of depth measurement or the algorithm?

Yeah I think that was the one.

The ZHL-16c algorithm breaks down past 120m and the accuracy of the depth sensors starts to drift and can no be relied upon which is where the limitation comes from.

Mechanical buttons are usually effected by depth as they have physical movement and rely on springs; the stiffer the springs the greater the ambient pressure they can operate at - just be wary shallow or at the surface if they are optimised for depth :)

divedaz
25-01-2015, 04:33 AM
Christmas is nearly here :)

I'm in the process of retiring my Oceanic Veo 3 computer and am looking for a suitable replacement.

Ideally im after a comp that has a choice to run off the buhlmann 16c algorithm and has the ability to change the gradient factors.

At the moment im only diving with nitrox for the working pirtion if the dive and high O2 for deco. Its likely that in the next 18 to 24 months ill have a crack at tri mix so im going to spend a bit more money now to save having to retire the new DC when i make that step.

Does anyone have any recomendations? - I was looking at the Shearwater Petrel or liquivison Xeo. Im leaning towards the SW-P.

Its going to be a massive financial investment so any help is appreciated.

Chris

So? did you get one?