PDA

View Full Version : Pressure test Suunto D9

Phil Lloyd
05-10-2014, 09:06 AM
I decided to change the battery on my Suunto D9 couldn't find the comparable O ring ID number anywhere seems it's special to Suunto.
If I can't buy the O ring I didn't feel I could trust the parts on Ebay to be genuine replacements or the correct size.
Decided to have a look at the existing O ring which was fine
Bought a Duracell replacement (like for like ) but it didn't fit :swear: the - side was a different size :@:. Finally got a renata which fitted CR2450N
Reassembled all working fine.
Problem now is how to pressure test :think:

Popped watch into a garden sprayer, pumped it up (haven't got a clue what the pressure was but better than atmospheric) left it for 30 min, popped watch into the airing cowbird adjacent to the hot water tank.

No fogging in the watch

Result. :)

Hope this helps anybody wanting a DIY pressure test

gobfish1
05-10-2014, 10:14 AM
I decided to change the battery on my Suunto D9 couldn't find the comparable O ring ID number anywhere seems it's special to Suunto.
If I can't buy the O ring I didn't feel I could trust the parts on Ebay to be genuine replacements or the correct size.
Decided to have a look at the existing O ring which was fine
Bought a Duracell replacement (like for like ) but it didn't fit :swear: the - side was a different size :@:. Finally got a renata which fitted CR2450N
Reassembled all working fine.
Problem now is how to pressure test :think:

Popped watch into a garden sprayer, pumped it up (haven't got a clue what the pressure was but better than atmospheric) left it for 30 min, popped watch into the airing cowbird adjacent to the hot water tank.

No fogging in the watch

Result. :)

Hope this helps anybody wanting a DIY pressure test

some of the garden spray / hand pump kit,s can take 40 /45 psi ,

good work ,

Turbanator
05-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Generally a pressure test will pressurise in air, leave, submerge in water, then release pressure so that any leak is a leak of air coming out, not water going in.

Pea Cake
05-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Generally a pressure test will pressurise in air, leave, submerge in water, then release pressure so that any leak is a leak of air coming out, not water going in.
Whoops see below!

Pea Cake
05-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm! Wouldn't do this myself. What's wrong with an authorised service centre?

matt
05-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Is it OK to dry-test the pressure-sensor?

Matt

Turbanator
05-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Good point, I don't know. On dry dives they always say to put computers in a bucket of water.
As far as I can see, pressure is pressure and putting them in water just ensures that the contact are wet.

notdeadyet
05-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I've got a pressure pot I made for testing cells with, good to 10bar. Dont think I'd wet test a computer. What does it prove? You get water in the case, any water, eventually knackers it even if it survives the first dip. Getting water out is a hell of a lot harder than getting it in. If you did get fogging what do you do? Computer cases and watches are a bastard to dry out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Phil Lloyd
05-10-2014, 05:02 PM
40+ to change a CR 2450 battery(1.99 at Battery Store) plus an O ring :doh: nearly as expensive as servicing a reg

Watch is 8 years old so I thought I would give it a go

Wet test under controlled conditions, 20min under wet pressure then in a warm place. If any fogging, remove back and battery, place in a warm dry area for 48 hours then try again or send it to a Suunto approved agent.

Suunto Vytec is user changeable, battery compartment is clear plastic to see if there is any water ingress. Cant see any difference.

Once the high pressure air inside the watch has leaked out water will enter under pressure

Me being a cynic, how do I know my local dive shop carries out a pressure test? last time I paid for a battery change I did not get a certificate that it had been pressure tested

matt
05-10-2014, 05:19 PM
40+ to change a CR 2450 battery(1.99 at Battery Store) plus an O ring :doh: nearly as expensive as servicing a reg

I had mine done at Timpsons (The Watch Workshop). Cost 50 with a 500m pressure test. Paid 70 for the watch - but it's on old diving friend :-)

If you see bubbles on the test you remove the watch - you don't wait for the pressure to equalize and the water come in!

Matt.

Turbanator
05-10-2014, 05:28 PM
The tester lets you raise and lower the watch, so the watch is never submerged under pressure, except after its been 'saturated' with air before dunking.

witchieblackcat
05-10-2014, 07:10 PM
When I change mine it goes for a dive to check it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Turbanator
13-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Ok, prompted by a chat with a computer manufacturer and the DDRC (see what I do for you guys and gals), the only reason computers are put in a bucket of water when doing a dry dive is to activate ones that need wet contacts.
The pressure sensor will not be damaged, nor is it a safety in the chamber issue.

So, as far at we're concerned in this thread, the recommended way to test a computer or watch by pressurising in air, waiting, then lowering it into water and releasing the pressure then looking for bubbles coming out, is fine.

Best
P

matt
13-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Can we use a vacuum test?
Matt.

Turbanator
13-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Can we use a vacuum test?
Matt.

Works for camera housings ;)