PDA

View Full Version : New Suunto Eon Steel

Nitnab Nhoj
02-10-2014, 10:56 AM
For anyone who's interested:
http://www.mikesdivestore.com/blogs/bantins-blog/15175077-bantins-blog-suunto-eon-steel

AndrewRawlingson
02-10-2014, 11:02 AM
i think that computer is going to go down like a lead balloon on tdf. there are going to be questions about the algorithm.

personally, i dive with two HelO2s and really like them.

nickb
02-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Why put the buttons on the front? It's about 50% wider than it needs to be.

Paul Evans
02-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Why put the buttons on the front? It's about 50% wider than it needs to be.

Straps bloody awful as well.........

Justin Owen
02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Initial thoughts are that it appears too big and clunky - could do with seeing a picture of it on someones wrist or fondling it...

While OLED screen can use more power than there IPS counterparts - this varys greatly on what is being displayed and how. Lots of white for example needs more power. My OSTC2 did 35 hours underwater in July and probably another 5 hours since then, and it's still showing 3/4 battery left...

Doomanic
02-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Is that a blog or a paid advert?

CraigofScotland
02-10-2014, 11:38 AM
on October 4th, Suunto launched the Suunto EON.

Are you from the future?

Paul Evans
02-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Is that a blog or a paid advert?

He'll have one for sale second hand in about a years time :giggle: Bless him he's always been a Suunto boy :think:

I am actually glad he's doing these articles, good for him, And I also hope he's making some dosh out of it, why shouldn't he?

CraigofScotland
02-10-2014, 11:39 AM
Edit: Dp

edward
02-10-2014, 11:48 AM
I was always a sunnto guy. Until the OSTC. I don't think this will tempt me back.

rickgillyon
02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Looks great, just a little late to the market with this one...

Rob Dobson
02-10-2014, 12:08 PM
The feedback I received from the dealers who were invited out to the NDA governed sneak preview over in Nemo33 many months back was:

Awful. Too big, buttons in the wrong place and at 899 too expensive. They were offered them for a heavily discounted price (300 IIRC???) so I know most of them bought the maximum they were allowed but only to sell them on cheaply and make some money on the side.

Ah well. Good luck to Suunto.

edward
02-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Rob, I think your one-word previous review was the best: Late.

rickgillyon
02-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Size and buttons look okay to me, at my age a big screen is an advantage... :) Price is similar to other OLED computers. I'd have one if I hadn't already bought a Liquivision.

Rob Dobson
02-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Size and buttons look okay to me, at my age a big screen is an advantage... :) Price is similar to other OLED computers. I'd have one if I hadn't already bought a Liquivision.

Have you had one on your wrist? I haven't, but the people who flagged it to me as an issue (independently of one another) all had. One said to me that she had to put up towards her elbow FFS!

It's been described to be me as being the size of one of those 'paddle' smartphones that are somewhere between a phone and a tablet.

Maybe it will be BIG in Asia?

rickgillyon
02-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Have you had one on your wrist?
I've seen the videos. Looks fine. Not for dwarfs, obviously... :D

Nitnab Nhoj
02-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I write blogs to keep my hand in. Send me a contribution if you like! (The Suunto computer goes back to Suunto) By the way, there is a bungee mounting option included. It uses the Weinke Fusion algorithm but you could always write your own on the inside of a bit of Tupperware!
Unlike some others who post on the Internet, I have no financial allegiance to any product or service. I wish I had, then I wouldn't be so broke!

anvill72
02-10-2014, 01:21 PM
I write blogs to keep my hand in. Send me a contribution if you like! (The Suunto computer goes back to Suunto) By the way, there is a bungee mounting option included. It uses the Weinke Fusion algorithm but you could always write your own on the inside of a bit of Tupperware!
Unlike some others who post on the Internet, I have no financial allegiance to any product or service. I wish I had, then I wouldn't be so broke!

Have you tried the alternatives (OSTC, Petrel etc)? If so, in your estimation, how does it compare?

Because both of those are widely used and significantly cheaper!

Nitnab Nhoj
02-10-2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/diver_tests/1840716/computer_shearwater_petrel.html

I never got to try the OSTC.

The Suunto EON is gas-integrated via multiple pods.

gaius
02-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Won't go wrong with a Petrel. Suunto Mosquito is a nice bit of kit too, pity they stopped making them.

Paul Evans
02-10-2014, 05:18 PM
http://www.divernet.com/Diving_Gear/diver_tests/1840716/computer_shearwater_petrel.html

I never got to try the OSTC.

Do you trust it enough to not use a Gauge?

Logun
02-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Looks more like a feckin satnav than a dive computer

Stew W
02-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Suunto Mosquito is a nice bit of kit too, pity they stopped making them.

Yep. I killed two, but would still buy another.

For the price of this monstrosity I'd rather get an UWATEC gauge timer and fancy new H-Flare (or is it the Focus, I forget.)

Nitnab Nhoj
02-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Do you trust it enough to not use a Gauge?

Someone at Truk said they couldn't believe I dived without an SPG. Gauges? They can blow up in your hand! That's why people turn them away when they turn their tank on, isn't it?

hippytyre
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Ever seen that happen?

Paul Evans
02-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Someone at Truk said they couldn't believe I dived without an SPG.

Hairy Muff :clap:

Nitnab Nhoj
02-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Ever seen that happen?

No!

notdeadyet
02-10-2014, 05:36 PM
900 quid? Does it come with a lifetime of felatio?

15 quid Aladin Pro off ebay. Never let me down. Beeps a lot though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Paul Evans
02-10-2014, 05:47 PM
15 quid Aladin Pro

Cheap if you don't get caught by Yewtree............

Stew W
02-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Someone at Truk said they couldn't believe I dived without an SPG. Gauges? They can blow up in your hand! That's why people turn them away when they turn their tank on, isn't it?

Ever seen that happen?

Blow up? No

Go bang after pressurizing. Yes

Jim
02-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I've been diving the Eon for about nine months now, and have managed to rack up quite a few dives using it.
For background (& balance!) I am a Suunto fan, and have been using their computers for around 15years. I have a Shearwater hardwired to my Meg though and use the SW on the JJCCR regularly. I've dived the HW OSTC a fair few times, as well as the VR3 & VRx.
I usually dive OC using a couple of DXs, or CCR using onboard plus a DX as backup.
There is enough technical detail on the Suunto site about the unit already, so I though I might add my thoughts on the comments already voiced on this thread.
I'm a biff with multi-quoting, so bear with me:
The Eon uses the Suunto Fused algorithm, I personally quite like it and have been happy diving it to 150m. I don't think there's any issue with the Air/EANx mode, but if you don't want to use it then the gauge mode is very good (ie ave depth, resetable timer with seconds etc). In DM5 there is the option to pick which algorithm (Suunto RGBM/ TecRGBM/ Fused) and you can then send that plan to the Eon. I've not tried this yet, will have a go and let you know...
The buttons on the front of the unit. A wasn't keen at first, but they have a nice feel to them (especially with the newer boot). I was keen to try a 'flipped' version, but haven't got one yet. I have had an issue with the side mounted buttons on my Shearwater, in that I have managed to tap the buttons with a slate or a backup computer and entered munus etc, and have turned the monitor off once. The top mounted buttons make sense from this point.
The battery life is very good. It charges off any powered USB port, and is quick too. I ran one of mine down last week and in ten minutes of plugging it in had 10hrs of battery life displayed. On a full charge on default brightness it indicates around 52hrs usage. On low brightness around 78hrs, and on high brighness is around 34hrs. These seem to be 'Suunto hours' though; I had an indicated 8hrs left last week and it lasted over ten hours inwater.
The strap is OK if you like that sort of thing. The bungee mount option the Eon comes with is much nicer to use in a drysuit! Oddly enough, after a couple of months using the bungee mount I went back to the strap and now prefer it.
I don't find it too big, although it takes a bit of getting used to after using the DX for so long! Against my SW it's similar...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrtlu6ukz1yknb8/photo1.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9813j4x6itbrbro/photo2.JPG?dl=0

Late to the market... Yup, the likes of SW, OSTC, Xdeep have all quite rightly got strong followings. The biggest critisism I hear about current Suunto computers is that divers can find the screens hard to read, especially in UK conditions. This screen is exceptionally good.
This is an old photo, with the Eon set to 'Low' brightness:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sg5uqw5pjmci2t/IMG_0058.jpg?dl=0

I don't hear anyone elses feedback, but AFAIK the pricepoint is 795
It doesn't seem too big when worn, my wife is very 'petite' and she prefers it to the SW size-wise.

When compared to the other current colour screen dive computers it's difficult to do a like for like comparison. I use the SW a lot, and there are a few features on the SW that I really like that the Eon doesn't offer. Yet.
The unit as it is is very, very nice, and I expect it to do very well in the recreational market where Suunto are already very strong. When put up against the likes of the Helo2, VyperAir etc it's a no-brainer especially in a year or so when the price drops down...
The bit that I find really interesting with the Eon though is that it's easy to customise (multiple screens in multiple modes) and very easy to upgrade. The CCR set-point (DX) software is well on its way, as well as some nice user options too.

These are only my observations/ opinions, not a line from Suunto! Am happy to answer any questions about what I've done with the unit though :)

Logun
02-10-2014, 06:16 PM
That's why people turn them away when they turn their tank on, isn't it?

I love that people do this when the burst disk is usually on the back, now facing towards them. :D

anvill72
02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
I love that people do this when the burst disk is usually on the back, now facing towards them. :D

Thw way I do it is with the tank and BC between myself and the gauge so it will either burst towards the tank/BC or the seat/someone else.

rickgillyon
02-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Which makes the Liquivision Lynx the only direct comparison, with Computer+Transmitter a huge 1085. Extra transmitters around 470! :O

gaius
02-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Thw way I do it is with the tank and BC between myself and the gauge so it will either burst towards the tank/BC or the seat/someone else.

I see divers put it on the floor and put one foot on it...