PDA

View Full Version : Ostc3

nigel hewitt
17-09-2014, 01:19 PM
I confess. I lost my OSTC2. It never made it back from a trip. I have turned everything out and invoked arcane gods but it's just gone.
I'm sad. It was an old friend and we spent a lot of happy hours in the water together.
So now I need a new test bed to play interfaces on....

I'm looking at the OSTC3 and it looks interesting so I thought I'd ask about it.
Anybody got one? Reliable? Battery as good as they say? Screen still sears your eyeballs like the excellent OSTC2?

Also does any body know if this one is really open source as I can see the code for the OSTC2 on their website but not this one?
I only really need code as an example to set up the screen and peripherals stuff as my page-turn interface is what I'm working on.

Alternatively does anybody want to part with an old 2/2N as my current code will drop straight into that and paying list for 'same again' jars. If I'm paying a new price I want an upgrade with new shiny toys.

Rob Dobson
17-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi Nigel, the OSTC3 uses different hardware (screen and CPU for starters), so the code is therefore different but AFAIK still open source; although you may now be the last remaining 3rd party 'rolling their own' so not sure how publicly available the developer tools are these days. Drop them a line, I'm sure they'd be happy to help!

If you want to stick with a 2 drop Dave Whitlow a line as he was talking about chopping his 2 (2n I think?), in for a new 2c.

Bobanderson
17-09-2014, 01:45 PM
I had a couple of 3s cross the deck and they all seem to meet the usual HW high standard ofvreliability and ergonomics. I think however that you would fit better into the 2 camp as you have a deep understanding of both the software and physics.

Botb come highly recomrnded by my experience especially coupled with deep ideas superb customer support.

Hth

Bob

nigel hewitt
17-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi Nigel, the OSTC3 uses different hardware (screen and CPU for starters), so the code is therefore different but AFAIK still open source; although you may now be the last remaining 3rd party 'rolling their own' so not sure how publicly available the developer tools are these days. Drop them a line, I'm sure they'd be happy to help!
Last? That's sad. It's a lovely platform just short on log storage and the '3 has masses.
Changing stuff is no problem if I have an example to crib from. I was drawing lines and characters on the last one in a week of evenings, it started diving shortly after.

I've looked at the DIY thread and decided I'm too lazy to roll my own even if I do have machine tools available.
The programming game is that I don't think menus are a good idea and I have this 'page change' interface I've been developing.
That's the target but as I am, by choice, an assembler programmer this sort of thing rather sings my sort of song.

I'll email MH.

dwhitlow
17-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Alternatively does anybody want to part with an old 2/2N as my current code will drop straight into that and paying list for 'same again' jars. If I'm paying a new price I want an upgrade with new shiny toys.

I could be persuaded to part with my trust OSTC 2N as Rob is dangling new toys in front of me :)

nigel hewitt
17-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Hummm...
A payment in from my publisher. People are buying books.
I was debating between a '3 and APD's new HUS but it might not need to be a choice.

Dave. If I can't get example code for a 3 I'll go for a 2 and get back to you.
However if somebody else offers you money don't wait on me.

MadUKDiver
17-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Try here (no guarantees as not having an OSTC I didn't check it out fully).

https://bitbucket.org/heinrichsweikamp/osct3_code

nigel hewitt
17-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Try here (no guarantees as not having an OSTC I didn't check it out fully).
https://bitbucket.org/heinrichsweikamp/osct3_code
Certainly looks interesting. It has all the right stuff.
Thank you

nigel hewitt
26-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Rob? Are you there? Your TDF private mailbox has obviously been discovered by your hordes of raving fangirls and is full.
I'm just trying to reply regards OSTC3 advice.

Rob Dobson
26-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Inbox now cleared!

depthdevil
27-09-2014, 07:49 AM
I lost my 2n a couple of months ago, so panicked and bought a 3 a few days later. Only had it two days, and the mate who borrowed my suit phoned up to say my 2n was sitting in the foot pocket, when he went to put the suit on. Doh! The 3 was returned, but naturally I had a play cos I was to be getting it wet soon enough. It is a lovely piece, but the only things I wasn't sure of were the buttons getting scratched and going powdery if the anodising got marked. (So would of preferred the pressure sensors of the 2n). And the main screen having (some) very small text on. The rest of it looked looked gorgeous. I am now looking for a spare 2n if anyone knows of one?

PeterL
27-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Sigh.... after spending last weekend admiring the 3 I might have a 2n getting loose shortly........

depthdevil
27-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Hi peter. Please keep me in mind if you decide on a 3?

Spirit of Guernsey
27-09-2014, 07:04 PM
......and me.

PeterL
29-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Sigh.... after spending last weekend admiring the 3 I might have a 2n getting loose shortly........

Sold.

nigel hewitt
30-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Ooooo......
I've got an OSTC3.
A fool and his money... Yes I know.

It's slightly smaller than I expected but the buttons are like I hoped so it's really four buttons if I play it right.
Love the definition on the screen.

Not sure I like the bungie but until I try it in a drysuit with gloves on who knows...

gordon mackie
30-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I have been using the 3 since it came out and love it. My old DR5 with Multideco tends to be backup now :-)

bobdob
30-09-2014, 10:55 PM
I must be the only person who isn't yet convinced about the OSTC3. I've not had it long, got it after my Mk II died. I love the low profile, but I find the screen less well laid out, the bungee mount is more of a faff, and the buttons much less responsive compared to the previous style. I often find that I have to press the right hand button several times before it reacts. Maybe it's me, maybe it's wearing in, or maybe it's just not making contact correctly.