PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide

ootini
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Herro!

Ok I know very little about rebreathers, apart from the basic principle of how they work. As far as I'm aware there are a few available, including the Inspiration, Vision, VR Sentinel, KISS, Megaladon, JJ, Poseidon CIS Lunar and I believe Hollis are releasing one too. Also I keep hearing about an Apoc, but apparently there's some controversy surrounding this one.

My question is this, apart from brand and name, what are the differences between the units? Do they do the same thing and it's all down to marketing? Or do they actually do the same thing but in different ways? What makes you choose one box over another etc? What causes the price differences? All in very basic laymans terms please.

Dyson Diver
07-01-2013, 10:41 AM
second post on the same theme ,,, youve missed the sf2 off the list .
yes they all do the same basic job , but in a slightly different manner , after all , all cars more or less do the same thing etc.
its the amount of clutter you choose to live with that seems to be the major factor.
lots of clutter inspo ,,, less clutter kiss ,,, no clutter sf2 ,
others all fit into one of the groups .
then i think a lot of the chouice is decided by ... cost ie new or second hand ,,, the people you dive with ... what you can try before you buy ,, who will be doing the instruction ,, what you can fix.
thats a very brief overview . im sure someone will write a lot more

ootini
07-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Cheers!

Sorry I didn't see an earlier post on the same thing. I'll have a search.

ootini
07-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Ahh I also forgot the rEvo. Never heard of an SF2.

Dyson Diver
07-01-2013, 11:13 AM
lol , sf2 is the best kept worst advertised rb at the mo , mark powel would be worthy of an ask ,
or steve phillips of tdi .
i certainly wouldnt spend the price of a new breather and overlook the sf2 , you could end up kicking yourself for a while to come ,,,,

Dyson Diver
07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
best kept secret ,,, worst advertised ,, should read ,,, typo above

Soggy
07-01-2013, 11:32 AM
*ahem* they are basically all the same, slightly different configurations and trinkets plugged into them.

SoggyBottoms
07-01-2013, 12:45 PM
the SF2 looks to have some legs as a SM BOB but having the clung at the bottom of the tube gives a lot reported breathing issues when not in perfect trim.
perhaps very good for cave not so good for sea

interesting nevertheless Home (http://www.sf-2.eu/en-us/home.aspx)

dwhitlow
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Not been updated for a while but this shows a few options:

Rebreather Comparison : Deep Ideas Ltd, Online Shop (http://deep-ideas.co.uk/Store/index.php?main_page=page_2)

Major Clanger
07-01-2013, 02:05 PM
All try to do the same thing; some of them make it a little more difficult to do so than others (cough sentinel :) )

SoggyBottoms
07-01-2013, 02:09 PM
All try to do the same thing; some of them make it a little more difficult to do so than others (cough sentinel :) )

can I buy you a new drum? :)

Major Clanger
07-01-2013, 02:11 PM

No mate, still some mileage left in this one :)

Soggy
07-01-2013, 02:39 PM

Or record, it appears to be stuck.

Dyson Diver
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM
lets put it this way ,,, it has ce ,, so breathing cant be that bad , they wont pass ce if it is , the latest model has had some updates , many have seen the early prototypes that were out for evaluation and beta development , now the finished product is shipping ..
anyone i know who has dived it actually comments on how exceptionally good the wob is , and love the clear chest etc , ,, eeven the manual add kits can either be over shoulder or belt mount for a really clear front ,, im sure there s a review somewhere ,,,

WFO
07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
They're all basically the same method of working once you get past ECCR/MCCR/SCR differences.

The rest is just how they package the bits and bobs. I'd suggest going on CCR explorers and having a bit of a lurk in the units section at the unit teardowns to give you an overview. Once you've understood how they work you can see the units all having similar parts just set up differently.

There is an absolutely massive list of units. You could do worse than to look up nobubblediving.com on the internet archive to see some interesting other ways it's been done for a bit of historical perspective.

BTS
07-01-2013, 04:40 PM
You breath from a closed circuit, you use some O2 from the gas, this is topped up either manually or automatically depending on the unit.

When breathing out you odd CO2 to the closed circuit, this is bad, the scrubber removes it.

So, breath in from the left bag {usually} breath out into the right bag [usually} this then feeds the breath to the scrubber where the CO2 is removed, it emerges at the top of the scrubber {usually} where the O2 check takes place, if needed O2 is added and the gas moves into the left bag to start the cycle again. There is a really simple diagram somewhere but I can't find it...

That is basically it.... in the simplest terms.

GLOC
07-01-2013, 05:25 PM
There is also a very good survival guide from Paul Haynes

Rebreather Survival Guide - Paul Haynes (http://www.disrc.com/home-page/index.php/home-page/reference-material/35-diving-ccr/263-rebreather-survival-guide-paul-haynes)

Regards

aerobrain
22-01-2013, 11:03 PM
lets put it this way ,,, it has ce ,, so breathing cant be that bad , they wont pass ce if it is , the latest model has had some updates , many have seen the early prototypes that were out for evaluation and beta development , now the finished product is shipping ..
anyone i know who has dived it actually comments on how exceptionally good the wob is , and love the clear chest etc , ,, eeven the manual add kits can either be over shoulder or belt mount for a really clear front ,, im sure there s a review somewhere ,,,

Do you know if there are any UK based instructors for the sf2?

Paulo
22-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Inhave heard talk of an O2 rebreather. What is this?

BTS
23-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Inhave heard talk of an O2 rebreather. What is this?

exactly what it says it is... a pure O2 rebreather, not good for depth really...

The early military rebreathers were O2 rebreathers but then you don't need to be deep to put a mine on the hull of an enemy ship

WFO
24-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Read all this lot

Untitled 1 (http://www.therebreathersite.nl/01_Informative/MenuInformative/MenuInformative.htm)

GLOC
24-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks WFO, a very useful link out. Jan is a very nice chap!

Regards

Dive dog
24-01-2013, 11:07 AM
exactly what it says it is... a pure O2 rebreather, not good for depth really...

The early military rebreathers were O2 rebreathers but then you don't need to be deep to put a mine on the hull of an enemy ship

I belive I saw a talk on this at Tek11. Was being used for deco in cave systems. They left them tied off where they would do thjie deco and instead of a cylinder of O2, there was a rebreather.

I got scorned by the talker when someone asked where he could get one. I told him ''At any cave entrance in Florida''

Digger
24-01-2013, 11:10 AM
All the basic questions answered in one book that you could read in a few days: Mastering Rebreathers: Amazon.co.uk: Jeff Bozanic: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Rebreathers-Jeff-Bozanic/dp/0941332969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359025734&sr=8-1)

Find someone with a copy and borrow it mind you, every RB instructor in the country should have this on their shelf. No idea why it is so chuffing expensive on Amazon, presumably out of print or something now.

Digs.

nickb
24-01-2013, 11:28 AM
All the basic questions answered in one book that you could read in a few days: Mastering Rebreathers: Amazon.co.uk: Jeff Bozanic: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Rebreathers-Jeff-Bozanic/dp/0941332969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359025734&sr=8-1)

Find someone with a copy and borrow it mind you, every RB instructor in the country should have this on their shelf. No idea why it is so chuffing expensive on Amazon, presumably out of print or something now.Pretty sure I've got a copy somewhere in my many bookshelves if someone needs me to dig it out.

Gary
24-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Pretty sure I've got a copy somewhere in my many bookshelves if someone needs me to dig it out.

:D

steve c r
09-03-2016, 10:33 AM
nick b would you consider selling your copy of mastering rebreathers as im doing mod 1 shortly and need all info i can get cheers steve pm me if interested

Darren A
09-03-2016, 10:36 AM
nick b would you consider selling your copy of mastering rebreathers as im doing mod 1 shortly and need all info i can get cheers steve pm me if interested

http://jet25.hasweb.com/~paulcas/smilies/thread-resurrection-PTL.jpg

:)

matt
12-03-2016, 09:02 AM
http://jet25.hasweb.com/~paulcas/smilies/thread-resurrection-PTL.jpg

:)

Made me laugh. :-)