X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jb2cool
    Sorry for being a dick
    • Dec 2012

Which bungee for computer/compass?

I'm currently using 5mm bungee on my computers/compass and am having issues. If it's tight enough so that the computers don't slip or move around then it seems too tight for comfort. If it's ok for comfort then the computers seem to slip around my arm.

What am I doing wrong?

Are people typically using thinner 3mm bungee (I used to but it seemed to lose it's stretch and die reasonably easily) that might have more stretch in it? Of is it just a very fine line in sizing the bungee correctly so that it's only just under tension? Or is it as simple as the fact that some bungee is stretchier than others?

I thought about trying surgical tubing instead of bungee as that may have more stretch in it.
  • MikeF
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

i use 4mm. 5mm is too thick

Comment

• Steve Clark
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

I use the 3mm stuff I think and have it reasonably tight. Never noticed a problem.

I've seen people lace the mount in a diagonal pattern, top-left to bottom-right etc. maybe try that.

Steve

Comment

• BTS
        feckface von clownstick
        • Dec 2012

3mm, it lasts years... two separate loops, if one fails your puter don't fall off none
        What to do? I only have three bullets and there are four of motley crew...

Comment

• jb2cool
          Sorry for being a dick
          • Dec 2012

Ok, consensus so far seems to be that 5mm is too thick. I have ordered some 3mm and some 4mm stuff and can have a play. Thanks.

Comment

• Logun
            Sir Logun
            • Dec 2012

I found that the cheap 3mm is crap, and doesn't have enough tension in it. if youre buying some half decent stuff then 3mm is fine, if not go 4mm. the bungee on my quantum is 5mm (because that's what was on it when I got it) which is just too thick, and a PITA to get over my si-tech rings. I keep on meaning to replace it, but only remember its an issue when I go to put the 'puter on my wrist.
            Originally posted by steelemonkey
            I hereby decree that all on this site should now refer to you as Sir Logun.

Comment

• timthefish
              TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

I have 3mm on my dss mount, two separate loops as BTS says incase of a snap. I would think 5 would be way over the top.

Comment

• drmwc
                TDF Member
                • Sep 2013

On a related note, the strap on my 5 year old Suunto D4 failed (again) over the weekend.

Is there an easy way of bungee mounting D4s, or do I need to shell out for a new strap?
                Last edited by drmwc; 11-09-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• jb2cool
                  Sorry for being a dick
                  • Dec 2012

What bit failed? If the strap (even just a bit of it) is still connected to the computer you can drill a hole in the strap and use that to connect the bungee.

If huge strap is completely bust but the pins still hold in place, can you manage to squeeze a bit on bungee between the computer and the pin? Could run the bungee through there with a retaining knot on it.

A bit like on this page

Comment

• bobdob
                    TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

5mm surgical tubing. Very stretchy, but holds computer/compass/bottom timer nice and tight. Great for making snoopy loops too.

Comment

• Dsix36
                      Going down?
                      • Jun 2013

I have found that surgical tubing works the best for me. It will stretch further and therefore will work if I am diving wet, dry, or naked. It also tends to keep things from sliding much better than bungee does, with less tension so it is more comfortable.

Just like bungee, there are various diameters and wall thicknesses. I use 1/4" with 1/16" wall. No I do not use metric. :-)

Comment

• Burgo
                        TDF Member
                        • Oct 2013

This method of lacing works well - 2 separate loops therefore redundancy + you can adjust for different thickness gloves ,/ suit http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/sh...y.php/cat/4487

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• ebt
                          #keepittea
                          • Dec 2012

3mm. laced back and forth multiple times. Dont tie it off, use a whipping.

surgical tube works well, but it seems to age/crack split easily. I like to think of it as the freddie star approach.
                          Free "cloud" store with Dropbox // Cheap Mobile SIM only deals with GiffGaff

Comment

Working...