PDA

View Full Version : Broken Vyper - replace or try something new?

BenC
08-09-2014, 04:47 PM
After more than a year unloved in the loft my vyper had a dead battery.

I replaced the battery but it decided to go diving without me and got down to 150m while on the kitchen table.... not so good.

It went off to the guys at Suunto who told me its dead dead dead. They will give me a new one for 180

I was looking at the OSTC Sport but I don't think i can justify spending that much, as i haven't even got wet in over a year.

Before I take the offer I was wondering if anyone could think of something better around or under the 200 mark?

Tris
08-09-2014, 05:05 PM
What sort of diving do you do? Do you use Nitrox or carry stages for accelerated Deco? If it is straightforward open circuit Air diving then I would say a Suunto are a good bet to stick with they have a wide range that will cater for this. I take it Suunto are not replacing it under warranty then but offering you a discounted resale?

BenC
08-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately it was well out of warranty being around 5 years old so no chance of a free replacement, so they are offering a replacement with a small discount.

My diving so far has been single cylinder open circuit, but keeping options open is always a good thing i think.

jturner
09-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Keeping options open is a good thing but if you've just been out of the water for a year, what are your realisitic goals for the coming years? Are you planning on doing lots of diving or lots of course or both? More importantly, you should be realistic about what you actually will do - we all have aspirations but life throws obstacles in the way all the time. If in doubt, just take them up on their offer and then you'll be in the same position you were in before it broke.

Tris
09-09-2014, 08:29 AM
For the same sort of money you could get a secondhand 'Suunto Stinger' and then you will also have a Nitrox function if you ever fancy using Nitrox, very sturdy construction and can be worn as a wrist watch if thats your type of watch. Resale values seem to hold on them if you ever give it up and if taking the odd year off as above least its still getting used as a watch at least!

jturner
09-09-2014, 08:32 AM
For the same sort of money you could get a secondhand 'Suunto Stinger' and then you will also have a Nitrox function if you ever fancy using Nitrox, very sturdy construction and can be worn as a wrist watch if thats your type of watch. Resale values seem to hold on them if you ever give it up and if taking the odd year off as above least its still getting used as a watch at least!

I take it by nitrox you mean >40% O2 nitrox? The vyper will handle =<40%...

Woz
09-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I'd give Stoney a call and get a Zoop for 135

BenC
09-09-2014, 10:39 AM
jturner - The reason for taking the time off was that i managed to really mess up my knee, hopefully it wont fall apart again on me so i wont be taking such a long break again! Progression wise I'm not sure where i'm going to be heading. Mostly I like bimbling along looking at pretty things and taking photos of them if they will stay still long enough.

Tris - while second hand would probably be OK (and i am prone to buying tat on Ebay) i would want a new one, probably just paranoia but it would make me feel safer.

Wos - The zoop does sound like a good plan, i hadn't really looked at those as it was the model down from the vyper, but looking at the spec it would cover my needs for now, apart from the back light but then again i shine my torch at my other gauges so no reason not to do the same with computer. Then i can flog it later if i want something better.

Thanks for your help guys, lets see if suunto will do me a good deal on the zoop.

Woz
09-09-2014, 02:54 PM
If you have the old single mix Vyper, the Zoop is pretty much identical with a different surround. It's what Suunto do- get the old computer capsules, stick a different name on it then drop it a level in their range.
At the moment there are some cracking deals to be had as computer manufacturers strive to ditch their current stocks as rumour has it that next year, a new raft of OLED stuff is on the way so they need to shift their old tatt.