X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simples !
    TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

Since then children are allowed on liveaboard

Just finished liveaboard in Egypt with a very well known operator. Among the guests was family of five from US, dad and two early teenagers were diving, mum and nine years old didn't. If it was only for constant whining at the table I would let it go but I saw the youngest one getting into dangerous situation with nobody in sight. I will send a note to the operator soon. I understand they are desperate to get boats filled but where will it end. We had also another American guest who just qualified as an Open Water diver and was allowed to join liveaboard with 5 dives under her belt. She was doing Advanced course on the boat and was diving bellow 30m. I am not familiar with Padi so don't know if it even allowed.
    Just a rant. Diving was great, flat see the whole week.
    http://www.bracknellscuba.org.uk/
  • Digger
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Youngest kids I've seen on a liveaboard were about 14-15, in the past obviously the ability to dive was restricted by age anyway and quite rare for non-divers to go on such an intensive diving holiday.

Personally I would be ok with it if I knew about it in advance, but I would have expected them to be an environment where I don't need to worry about the conversation over dinner and what films are on for quiet afternoons in the saloon otherwise.

Digs.

Comment

• sjwhite26
      Manta stalker
      • Dec 2012

Can't say I would be overwhelmed if I found out there were children on the trip especially if they weren't diving.

My concerns would be the attentions of the crew being distracted with watching the kids doing something they shouldn't, that poor kid must have been bored out their mind, not surprising you saw them get into a dangerous situation, it was probably one of many with nothing else to do and watching your siblings go off and do something they enjoy.

Comment

• braun
        Cancelled Account
        • Jan 2013

I personally would hate having young kids running around the decks and saloons. I have to say that it would piss me right off.

Comment

• Simples !
          TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Half way through the trip he was watching TV all the time, had to be bored to death. One of the situation I am not happy about. I was going back on board, half way up the ladder and he came out of nowhere, probably swimming around- still in armbands and joined me on the ladder. I started yelling at him. If I fell I could kill him.

Comment

• Grant T
            TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

I just took my 12 yo lad on a Northen Wercks and reefs tour with BOT, he was an awesome buddy.
            He is very well behaved we met some really nice people, I always dived with him and he was more qualified than 4 others on the boat.
            He worked really hard in a shitty cold quarry in a wetsuit to get his advanced Pasi qualification before he went and passed the exams all with flying colours.
            We had awesome fun, you could see some of the divers faces when he got on the boat but everyone congratulated me on what a good kid he was after they got to know him.
            They're not all the same it's all down to the parents.

Comment

• Noggin the Nog
              Hail the Children of LLyr
              • Jan 2013

You were lucky. The whole boat could have been opinionated dive police. No respite.
              "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Comment

• Digger
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Simples !
                Half way through the trip he was watching TV all the time, had to be bored to death. One of the situation I am not happy about. I was going back on board, half way up the ladder and he came out of nowhere, probably swimming around- still in armbands and joined me on the ladder. I started yelling at him. If I fell I could kill him.
                I thought there were quite a few places where swimming and snorkelling wasn't allowed in the Red Sea now, after sharks attacking swimmers? Have I imagined that? Where were you at the time?

Digs.

Comment

• Joe Narvey
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

2 weeks ago flew back from Bangkok - 13 hrs in club with noisy kids bouncing, screaming yelling and parents that didn't stop it. Last week flew back from US first class and same again, but this time crew asked parents to control their kids.

Slightly tangental, but well behaved is an immense pleasure and great experience for them. Badly behaved is extremely annoying.
                  Jon W Harvey
                  PADI IDCS#261514
                  BSAC OWSI#6870
                  ASSET Service Technician T980

Comment

• gaius
                    PADI fanboy
                    • Jan 2014

PADI only care about age if you are taking a class. They are not the dive police...

I would only be concerned about a kid meddling with the equipment. Their safety is 100% their parents responsibility.
                    Last edited by gaius; 12-08-2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Simples !
                      TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Digger
                      I thought there were quite a few places where swimming and snorkelling wasn't allowed in the Red Sea now, after sharks attacking swimmers? Have I imagined that? Where were you at the time?

Digs.
                      We were in St. Johns area

Comment

• Digger
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Simples !
                        We were in St. Johns area
                        Since the shark attack in 2009 I think HEPCA had advised not to swim or snorkel in this area.

Probably worth checking with the operator why children were swimming there before asking about kids being on the boat.

Digs.

Comment

• cazyoung
                          I still don't have a member
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Digger
                          Since the shark attack in 2009 I think HEPCA had advised not to swim or snorkel in this area.

Probably worth checking with the operator why children were swimming there before asking about kids being on the boat.

Digs.
                          Yep I was under the impression this was the case. Can you imagine the furore if a USA kid got bitten or worse. Very unusual for Americans to be venturing to Egypt..........
                          A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
                          I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Comment

• Pete Bullen
                            Dive tart, and 'tog
                            • Dec 2012

I guess if you want adult only holidays it's wrong to just assume that your trip will be adult only but insist/confirm on it at the time of booking.
                            Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
                            Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
                            http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Comment

• Paul Evans
                              Cheeky Monkey...
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Pete Bullen
                              I guess if you want adult only holidays it's wrong to just assume that your trip will be adult only but insist/confirm on it at the time of booking.
                              Assumption; "The mother of all fook up's"

“Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.” — Mark Twain

Comment

Working...