Banner Ad

Scientific diving with coastal and oceanographic engineering: A student's perspective

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RubiconFoundation
    RSS
    • Dec 2012

Scientific diving with coastal and oceanographic engineering: A student's perspective

Scientific diving with coastal and oceanographic engineering: A student's perspectiveGravois, UIntroduction: This paper details my involvement with scientific diving as an undergraduate and graduate student at the University of Florida (UF). Throughout my 6 years of involvement, I have surpassed 100 logged dives, earned a divemaster certificate, reached full American Academy of Underwater Sciences Scientific Diver certification and am currently a member of the UF Diving Safety Board. Participation in the science diving program has been a huge asset to my class work and research. Documenting and sharing my science diving experiences might encourage future generations of scientists to take the extra step to engage in scientific diving, particularly in the field of Coastal and Oceanographic Engineering (COE). A project on chasing hurricanes led to my initial involvement in science diving and on to pursue a Master's thesis. In an undergraduate hydrodynamics class, students were recruited with an interest in a research project to study hurricane waves within the COE graduate program. From the perspective of an avid Florida surfer who is fascinated with science, this was a perfect opportunity. My knowledge and abilities as a so-called “waterman” did not earn me this research position but my previous experience with electronics and good grades did. This summer research project changed the course of my college career and my initiation to scuba diving.American Academy of Underwater Sciences (http://www.aaus.org/)

More...
Working...