PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Acclimatisation - Something you don't want

GLOC
05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
An interesting article by Jolie Bookspan, Ph.D. (University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA) and (The Rev.) Edward H. Lanphier, M.D., (University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI) about CO2 retention, CO2 retainers and why it isn't a good thing.

CO2 Acclimatization (http://scuba-doc.com/CO2acclim.html), a pdf is also available to download from the same link

Regards

Nitnab Nhoj
05-01-2013, 05:13 PM
You may remember the Prof. Simon Mitchell gave a good lecture on this at Eurotek 2010. It made me feel a lot better about myself because I have always used a lot more gas than my heavily smoking friends (whom I suspect have developed an increased tolerance to CO/CO2) but I don't get the headaches after and I've never been bent.

GLOC
05-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Unfortunately I was giving a presentation at the same time as Simon (and I didn't have as many people as he did, unsurprisingly!!) on Human Factors in Diving Incidents so missed it but have been following much of what had been discussed in the APOC thread on YD.

Regards

Major Clanger
05-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Is it like the alcohol thing? The more you drink the more you need to feel the effects but are still over the limit and susceptible to the effects no matter how little you feel it.

Neil Brock
05-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Is it like the alcohol thing? The more you drink the more you need to feel the effects but are still over the limit and susceptible to the effects no matter how little you feel it.

I will let you know in the morning, hic !

simon mitchell
08-01-2013, 05:32 PM
An interesting article by Jolie Bookspan, Ph.D. (University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA) and (The Rev.) Edward H. Lanphier, M.D., (University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI) about CO2 retention, CO2 retainers and why it isn't a good thing.

CO2 Acclimatization (http://scuba-doc.com/CO2acclim.html), a pdf is also available to download from the same link

Regards

Gareth,

This article was written in 1995. Although we know a bit more about the subject now, it remains essentially accurate. Good find.

Simon M