PDA

View Full Version : New Computer: Vyper or Vyper Air

Ahoy
03-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Sent my old (12y) Vyper to Suunto as it wasn't working and, basically, it's had it.
I didn't really want to spend more on the same model than I did originally so wondered about the Vyper Air (like the compass, gas switch 'may' be useful).
Anyone any general thoughts, such as having used one? Anyone know of any offers anywhere for these? Suunto offered me a reasonable price on a replacement Vyper...
Thanks,
S.

anvill72
03-07-2014, 12:02 PM
I have a Vyper Air and my son has a Vyper.

If you don't need backlight, multiple Nitrox mixes and air integration, stick with the Vyper.

The compass is not that great, I've had very mixed results with it (could be due to my navigational ineptitude, mind). I don't use the transmitter integration and have very rarely used the multiple-gas functionality. In summary: I should've saved a bit of money and gone with the Vyper.

CraigofScotland
03-07-2014, 12:16 PM
If you dont need gauge mode in the future, get a zoop . . the backlight on them all are shite.

jturner
03-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Like the others have said, it depends on what you're happy to pay and if you'll want any of those features. FWIW, I have a Vyper Air and have had a Vyper - I prefer the screen type on the VA, having a backup compass is always nice and I use the deep stops and the air integration functions. If you're not bothered by those, the Vyper/Zoop etc will do the job. If you're still looking in a while and tempted by the 2nd hand market, MrsT is considering selling her Vyper 2* at the moment... she doesn't need 3 computers!!!

* V2 is a VA but without air integration and a more basic compass.

Fly100
03-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Im a newbie but ive just bought a vyper from mareshop. Its not arrived yet but all went through ok and it alot cheaper from there too !!

Paulo
03-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Vyper is good for single gas nitrox or air diving. The depth sensor went in mine so got a Vper Air and a Vytec as I was moving on to Adv Nitrox dives.

The Vyper air is good as it has compass, gauge mode, 1 gas switch etc. Vytec has 2 gas switches but no compass.

TBH the Suunto minutes got the better of me so I havent used the Vytec in over 18months but stays in the box as a spare or for students

String
03-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Ive had both (currently got a vyper air). I'd say go for the vyper. The air doesn't really provide anything extra that's useful.

ScubaHogg
03-07-2014, 08:10 PM
There's a compass on the Vyper Air? I thought it was a random direction generator.