PDA

View Full Version : Websites and PAYPAL.

Finless
15-05-2014, 02:42 PM
I would imagine all TDF users will have bought something on-line at some time and I would be very grateful for your opinion on the matter of what checkout payment service you prefer.

Is the presence of a PAYPAL option at a website checkout likely to affect your decision to complete your purchase or would you go elsewhere?

I have a retail website and I'm interested to know if it matters (or not).

Logun
15-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Forgetting something Finless? ;)

Garf
15-05-2014, 02:44 PM
yes, hugely so. I find myself more and more often selecting vendors because they have a paypal option. It's just so much less bother than going to find your wallet, digigng out the right card, typing in the number, the date, the code on the back etc.

Finless
15-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Bloody hell.

1. Create post.
2. Create poll - NEXT.
3. Reply to person who enquires "forgot something"!

:)

Finless
15-05-2014, 02:49 PM
yes, hugely so. I find myself more and more often selecting vendors because they have a paypal option. It's just so much less bother than going to find your wallet, digigng out the right card, typing in the number, the date, the code on the back etc.

I was afraid of that.

I know that WORLDPAY, for example, now offer the same 'remember card details' service but you have to set up another account and it's a faff and ...... :(

At the moment PAYPAL have really pissed me off.

Finless
15-05-2014, 02:50 PM

Have you forgotten something?

PLEASE please please please please please cast your vote in the poll!

andystev
15-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Just before I started the new job the company re-launched a whole swathe of websites, without Paypal. Overwhelmingly the feedback was along the lines of "what? No Paypal?"

Swifty
15-05-2014, 03:01 PM
While i use paypal for e-bay, and i have used it for other websites, (just recreantly when a website just wouldn't accept my card, i used the paypal option.) I try to use other payment methods before paypal, as i have massive issues with Paypal as a company, and if I ran my own site, I would have to have a long think about whether I wanted to use them as a payment provider.

personally so long as the website uses a secure payment gateway then I will use them, and not accepting Paypal is not a deal breaker.

Steve Clark
15-05-2014, 03:27 PM
OK, if I'm buying something from a small site that looks a bit dodgy then paypal is a bit safer I suppose. Particularly if attached to ebay, thats the easiest thing to use.

On the flip side, I would possibly be a bit hesitant if the only method of payment was paypal. This gives me the impression of a run from your bedroom type affair. All payment gateways are cheaper than paypal if you are shipping any kind of volume. This is a warning sign the business is small or just start-up. That may be ok for lots of things, but if you need long term support then maybe consider a more established site.

Steve

dwhitlow
15-05-2014, 03:29 PM
I ticked "Not worried so long as it is a secure method of payment" as I often buy from company where I know the retailer is genuine.

Sorry Finless, but if it is an unknown site I'd rather use paypal.

My Paypal payments come from my "Airmiles Duo" Amex card and that seems to provide better protection if there is a problem, as I found out....

I bought a laptop battery from a "uk battery supplier co" who offered a three year warranty and it didn't work. They offered a replacment and said I'd have to ship back to the factory, in China. The alternative was to send more money and they'd ship another. I contacted Paypal and they were unhelpful as the company is registered with them in China.

However, undeterred, I contacted Lloyds and initially they were unhelpful. however, when they saw I'd used the Amex, and not Mastercard, they said they'd initiate a charge back. Minutes later, I had a phone call from Paypal offering a full refund "in good faith" if I called off the bank.

Tel
15-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Paypal only, everytime.

If i'm forced and a card is needed, i'll ring up rather than give details on line.

6fathoms
15-05-2014, 03:50 PM
I have paypal on my website, I find it quite accessible for most people.

I also like a web shop to have that option too, it makes purchasing easier for me.

Finless
15-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Paypal only, everytime.

If i'm forced and a card is needed, i'll ring up rather than give details on line.

You are safer doing it online ..... mostly.

You will normally enter your address details on the company's website but when it comes to entering the card details you should see that you have been redirected to a payment gateway such as Worldpay or Sagepay etc (where the supplier never gets to see your card info). I imagine some BIG companies will handle the card data internally but that should be obvious as should their security notices.

I've never known a credit card company that wouldn't refund you your money if you were defrauded of your payment? All such agencies are on the side of the buyer!

humpbackdiving
15-05-2014, 03:59 PM
my option is shop with Divelife only and have an account! dangerous!!!!

or order with Narked and pay via wire transfer!

but Paypal would be preferred with a unknown shop as (i think) it gives me some securoty i'd get the money back if goods are not received.

Hickdive
15-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Taking payments via Paypal on your website is much cheaper than using a credit card processor as you don't have to
worry and pay for about PCI compliance.

The processing fees are much the same for PP as for most card processors too.

CraigofScotland
15-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Paypal

Cause you usually dont have to type your address n contacts in you just click a button . . and you know its secure . . love it.

bubbleless
15-05-2014, 04:05 PM
+1

Then having to recite password letters.

Then if you haven't pressed a button twice to get two orders , or failed and get nothing and have to start again.

Best one is register email , password ,pay by paypal job done.

No filling in forms.......

Finless
15-05-2014, 04:49 PM
it gives me some security I'd get the money back if goods are not received.

Your credit card company will give you those guarantees too plus, I believe, some insurance cover ...... I'm a bit hazy on that bit.

nigel hewitt
15-05-2014, 05:34 PM
I want PayPal and I want them to take my details from PayPal.

Facing a large page of 'must enter fields' pushes my 'do I really want this?' button strongly.
I do not want an account. I do not want a newsletter. I want one email to say it shipped then shut up.

Email is bad but the list of suppliers who have phoned me to ask if I want anything else is pinned above my desk. It is the blacklist with attitude.

Finless
15-05-2014, 06:01 PM
I want PayPal and I want them to take my details from PayPal.

Aha! A challenge!

All I need to persuade you all to do is start using something like LASTPASS (good recommendation from Rob!) and you'll never have this problem again. Probably. I'm not certain, offhand, how it deals with using 'not the home PC' ...... you may need a subscription account. There are lots of other options.

Facing a large page of 'must enter fields' pushes my 'do I really want this?' button strongly.Reall? And miss all the fun of neatly filling out those empty boxes?

I do not want an account.Oh, go on. We really want you to.

I do not want a newsletter.We only send 3 or 4 a year / super bargains would be missed!

I want one email to say it shipped then shut up.It's "me me me" with you customers!

Email is bad but the list of suppliers who have phoned me to ask if I want anything else is pinned above my desk. It is the blacklist with attitude. Well, if that's the case then I shall not tell you about this wonderful offer that you aren't going to hear about, now. No, it's no good being nice now. You've hurt my feelings.

As have PAYPAL, and I hate them with a passion at the moment!

j_b
15-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Taking payments via Paypal on your website is much cheaper than using a credit card processor as you don't have to
worry and pay for about PCI compliance.

The processing fees are much the same for PP as for most card processors too.

PCI compliance became a massive pain in my arse for my shop - paypal is incredibly expensive when you only look at individual transaction costs but it evens out when you look at the bigger picture.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Finless
15-05-2014, 06:08 PM
PCI compliance became a massive pain in my arse for my shop - paypal is incredibly expensive when you only look at individual transaction costs but it evens out when you look at the bigger picture.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Have you tried running a detailed report and comparing it to the PeePee summary account total? You'd think they'd be able to get the two to agree to each other but no, "apparently I should get my accountant to ...........". It's akin to getting a statement from your bank where the sum of the transactions don't add up to the account total!

nigel hewitt
15-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Aha! A challenge!
Sorry. I'm not here for the benefit of some shop.
If they don't want to make it easy for me to buy I have a million other places to go on the internet.

If I specifically need some product I'm stuck with the only suppliers website's pervs but I don't have to like it.
If it's an impulse buy the impulse fades very rapidly or the name can be pasted into google.

I like to buy on line so I buy a lot of stuff on line so make me want to come back.

IanB
15-05-2014, 06:57 PM
I binned my paypal account and ebay a couple of years ago, can't be bothered with them anymore. I'll use it to pay by CC but won't open an account any other CC scheme is fine after all it's not my money that's at risk by fraud it's the banks.

LearnerDiver
15-05-2014, 08:15 PM
I prefer to use any other payment method except paypal but that's because I got ripped off by a paypal seller and their support was useless, its much easier to just sort out a chargeback via the CC company

Baron015
15-05-2014, 08:48 PM
PayPal preferred

I will go back to a site that offers paypal over a site that does not offer it, every time

dwhitlow
15-05-2014, 11:10 PM
I prefer to use any other payment method except paypal but that's because I got ripped off by a paypal seller and their support was useless, its much easier to just sort out a chargeback via the CC company
You can do a chargeback from the CC company against a paypal purchase too - see post #10

Dave Lev
15-05-2014, 11:24 PM
(Is there a poll? Tapatalk isn't showing one.)

If there's a choice on a given website between paying by credit card or Paypal, then I always select Paypal. It is just easier. But I am mostly happy enough to enter credit card details if I have to. Payment method has rarely put me off from completing a purchase.

Desert Diver
16-05-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm sure I spend more money by Paypal than most people but your risk is almost nil with a CC at least in the USA. I prefer the CC because of that.

smileydiver
16-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Same as some of the others, I prefer PayPal as more convenient. For example if I am on a crowded train or walking down the street, it's easy to use PayPal as can just press a few buttons rather than needing to get my card out of bag etc. Wouldn't totally avoid a site for not having PayPal though as long as the payment system they had was secure.

Finless
16-05-2014, 10:26 AM
If they don't want to make it easy for me to buy I have a million other places to go on the internet.

If I've said it once then I've said it a billion times: "don't exaggerate"!

:)

LearnerDiver
16-05-2014, 04:02 PM
You can do a chargeback from the CC company against a paypal purchase too - see post #10

You may be able to with other cards but my experience with Visa was that they won't do a charge back against a fraudulent seller but buying direct using the card they will do

matt
16-05-2014, 08:32 PM
My preference is Amex. Most places do not take it - but PayPal do.

I use PayPal a lot, but for me it is not a show-stopper.

Matt.

Barrygoss
16-05-2014, 08:41 PM
PayPal.
Somehow I don't get charged fees at all, like ever, and the person I send money to doesn't get charged, in fact no one gets charged.
So I use it in preference to all :)
Been that way for a few years,
B

Ron MacRae
16-05-2014, 09:02 PM
I feel you missed off an option. Would avoid a site that only used Paypal.
I've had issues in the past and won't use them any more. If the site won't take Amex I'll go elsewhere.
Unless it's a site I've used before, e.g. easyjet or flybe, where I'm happy to use a debit card.

dwhitlow
16-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I feel you missed off an option. Would avoid a site that only used Paypal.
I've had issues in the past and won't use them any more. If the site won't take Amex I'll go elsewhere.
Unless it's a site I've used before, e.g. easyjet or flybe, where I'm happy to use a debit card.
I'm confused as you can use Amex with Paypal and if the site only takes Paypal and there is an issue and PP aren't helpful then Amex sort it (see post #10)

I never, ever, use a debit card for anything other than getting cash.

Ron MacRae
16-05-2014, 09:31 PM
I'm confused as you can use Amex with Paypal and if the site only takes Paypal and there is an issue and PP aren't helpful then Amex sort it (see post #10)

Too much hassle. Spend a few days arguing with PP before resorting to AMEX. PP add no value to the transaction if things go wrong so why not just skip them and use AMEX direct. This was several years ago and they may be better now but I don't see what PP bring to the party.

dwhitlow
16-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Too much hassle. Spend a few days arguing with PP before resorting to AMEX. PP add no value to the transaction if things go wrong so why not just skip them and use AMEX direct. This was several years ago and they may be better now but I don't see what PP bring to the party.
Except a lot of places won't accept amex as they charge too much but do accept PP. However, we will all do as we choose :)

notdeadyet
16-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Except a lot of places won't accept amex as they charge too much but do accept PP. However, we will all do as we choose :)

Not just merchant charges, customer charges are mental now. I used to pay 35 quid a year, noticed it has gone up to 60. For what? A glorified debit card that isnt taken in as many places, no loyalty schemes unless you pay extra.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

dwhitlow
16-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Not just merchant charges, customer charges are mental now. I used to pay 35 quid a year, noticed it has gone up to 60. For what? A glorified debit card that isnt taken in as many places, no loyalty schemes unless you pay extra.

:OMG: you pay for a credit card? Why? I've not paid a penny for my (many) cards in a very long time!

The amex card I have was an "airmiles duo" card and now given avios points (which I've never considered useful) but has zero customer charges.

Mark Chase
17-05-2014, 05:48 AM
+1

Then having to recite password letters.

Then if you haven't pressed a button twice to get two orders , or failed and get nothing and have to start again.

Best one is register email , password ,pay by paypal job done.

No filling in forms.......

100% agree with the above

Spent a happy hour yesterday getting 465 back from a double charge on a CC order placed on the phone???? I remember thinking I wish id done it on site with Pay Pall

matt
17-05-2014, 06:41 AM
:OMG: you pay for a credit card? Why? I've not paid a penny for my (many) cards in a very long time!

The amex card I have was an "airmiles duo" card and now given avios points (which I've never considered useful) but has zero customer charges.

I'll take your Avios point off your hands :-) Last year, Business to Shanghai, Business to Barbados, and soon Business to Grand Cayman. I pay 150 for the BA Amex Card from which I get a free Companion Ticket. Those 3 trips are over 24,000 - I paid 3,900 with the CC fee (6 tickets).

YMMV.

Matt.

notdeadyet
17-05-2014, 06:52 AM

Not even a credit card, it's a charge card, entire balance has to be paid each month so really it's glorified debit card.

I've had it for years, used to be cheap and had some good benefits. I'd never paid it much attention until I noticed a 60 quid charge. Gold card is about 200 if I recall and platinum card about 500'ish.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

dwhitlow
17-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Not even a credit card, it's a charge card, entire balance has to be paid each month so really it's glorified debit card.

I've had it for years, used to be cheap and had some good benefits. I'd never paid it much attention until I noticed a 60 quid charge. Gold card is about 200 if I recall and platinum card about 500'ish.

Not so. This is not the AMEX charge card but a Lloyds card with minimum payments and the chance to pay interest if you so desire http://www.lloydsbank.com/credit-cards/avios-rewards.asp

notdeadyet
17-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Not so. This is not the AMEX charge card but a Lloyds card with minimum payments and the chance to pay interest if you so desire http://www.lloydsbank.com/credit-cards/avios-rewards.asp

I was talking about the standard Amex card. I know they do different flavours of credit cards now but the "traditional" American Express card is the charge card. 60 quid a year is a pretty poor deal. Their merchant charges are crap as well, I'm surprised they've survived so long in the UK. I guess there's probably a lot of corporate accounts still using Amex.

Rich1280
17-05-2014, 08:58 PM
I'll avoid PayPal, had security issues and the killer was when you report it you get an automatic thank you email and we'll follow it up, but then nothing when I try and find out where my money was. Happened twice, now won't use it. Won't shop if they only take PayPal. Happy to use World pay or Sage pay, or even phone up directly, never had an issue. But I don't use eBay, either, so that's not a factor for me.

Finless
18-05-2014, 06:37 AM
I'll avoid PayPal, had security issues and the killer was when you report it you get an automatic thank you email and we'll follow it up, but then nothing when I try and find out where my money was. Happened twice, now won't use it. Won't shop if they only take PayPal. Happy to use World pay or Sage pay, or even phone up directly, never had an issue. But I don't use eBay, either, so that's not a factor for me.

Interesting. As a retailer, my experience of PayPal is that they are PDQ at putting stops on any queried transaction. Having said that, I will obviously only be aware complaints that 'got through to someone'!

Did you try phoning them and speaking to customer services?

Paulo
18-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Interesting. As a retailer, my experience of PayPal is that they are PDQ at putting stops on any queried transaction. Having said that, I will obviously only be aware complaints that 'got through to someone'!

Did you try phoning them and speaking to customer services?

I had an unauthorised payment taken out of my account a few months back. I rang them and they sorted it out pretty quick. As in within 5 mins.

I think paypal is handy as it means I dont need to go fiddling for my wallet when buying online

Rich1280
18-05-2014, 09:24 PM
I just used email, didn't phone up. The advantage was it was a purely computer based system. As soon as that goes, I may as well phone the shop to purchase directly. Happened twice, admittedly not much money, but lack of follow up is what did it for me. Will not touch it. Never heard from sellers either. :-/

Finless
19-05-2014, 11:32 AM
In the interests of fairness to others beside PAYPAL, I feel obliged to mention people that there are many other options besides PAYPAL with the 'remember my details' bit.