X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoggyBottoms
    Charlie
    • Dec 2012

garden walls: any height limit?

my garden wall is topped by some flat ceramic tile things and a couple of layers of brick above that. the cement seems as sticky as sand and I've lost a few bricks. thinking of removing this couple of bricks n shitty tile layer n going up a few more bricks for privacy.
    so, any general height limits on garden walls?
    this wall is between my garden and my drive and my neighbours drive.
    regards, Charlie

charliesez http://tinyurl.com/bjjus8g
  • londonsean69
    Bacon fiend
    • Dec 2012

A handy site for stuff like this..... http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...ceswallsgates/

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:
    it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway);
    or over 2 metres high elsewhere
    ; or
    your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition;
    or your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building;
    the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall,or gate, or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height. In a conservation area, however, you might need planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area to take down a fence, wall or gate.
    Bits applicable to you in red. You may need to drop the wall down to 1m where it meets the footway. I am assuming this is a front garden, as you mentioned driveway.
    Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Comment

• Nitnab Nhoj
      Hard Astern
      • Dec 2012

I once replaced an eight-foot-high wall with the same and got a letter from the council telling me to take it down. That was in 1984 and I believe it is still there.
      It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

Comment

• sheesh
        Rob Hill
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Nitnab Nhoj
        I once replaced an eight-foot-high wall with the same and got a letter from the council telling me to take it down. That was in 1984 and I believe it is still there.
        That's a long time to keep a letter

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

• gpj
          Octopus Ink Team
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Nitnab Nhoj
          Originally posted by sheesh
          That's a long time to keep a letter

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
          Probably filed under "fan mail"
          Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Comment

• Nitnab Nhoj
            Hard Astern
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by gpj
            Probably filed under "fan mail"
            My dad died in Newport. He died from boredom!
            It's nice to be nice and it's nice to use punctuation to add comprehension to a communication.

Comment

• SoggyBottoms
              Charlie
              • Dec 2012

it has a shopping centre

regards, Charlie

charliesez http://tinyurl.com/bjjus8g

Comment

• slimey
                Diving Dad
                • Dec 2012

One of our neighbours put up a wooden fence recently. Not only is it in breach of restrictive covenants in our deeds, but the bit along the side of the road is about 1.4m. We notified the local planning department about it. On the phone, they asked how tall it was, as they wouldn't investigate if it was "only just over 1m". They did come out to look at it, and then wrote to us to say they wouldn't be proceeding with enforcement as they didn't feel it was a problem. Guess there's no point having planning rules

Comment

• Allan Carr
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

The height is measured above the level of the land on the owners side of the boundary. My neighbour had built up the soil in his garden by about 18 inches above the height in our garden and then erected a 2 metre fence so it is over 8 feet high on our side.

Comment

• gobfish1
                    Last of the Mohicans
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by slimey
                    One of our neighbours put up a wooden fence recently. Not only is it in breach of restrictive covenants in our deeds, but the bit along the side of the road is about 1.4m. We notified the local planning department about it. On the phone, they asked how tall it was, as they wouldn't investigate if it was "only just over 1m". They did come out to look at it, and then wrote to us to say they wouldn't be proceeding with enforcement as they didn't feel it was a problem. Guess there's no point having planning rules
                    common sense sometimes is better when you have shite neighbours ,
                    None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• gobfish1
                      Last of the Mohicans
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by gobfish1
                      common sense sometimes is better when you have shite neighbours ,
                      at my first house i built a large garden shed , i keeped to the regs for hight and next to the neighbours side , max 2.4m but once 2m away from his fence in bumped up the hight to 3.5m , he was v happy for me to have it all at 3.5m put id not want to have problems if he sold up ,

well back to my point a neighbour that lived over the road and 4 doors down called planning , lol
                      he could only see my shed if he stood out side my house and looked through my window and out my patio window ,
                      i was less than a 1m from my back fence and the regs said my shed was to tall , but seeing as i back on to a golf course ,
                      and id keep my next door neighour happy / with regs , common sense won the day ,
                      Last edited by gobfish1; 03-05-2014, 10:29 AM.
                      None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• gobfish1
                        Last of the Mohicans
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by gobfish1
                        at may first house i built a large garden shed , i keeped to the regs for hight and next to the neighbours side , max 2.4m but once 2m away from his fence in bumped up the hight to 3.5m , he was v happy for me to have it all at 3.5m put id not want to have problems if he sold up ,

well back to my point a neighbour that lived over the road and 4 doors down called planning , lol
                        he could only see my shed if he stood out side my house and looked through my window and out my patio window ,
                        i was less than a 1m from my back fence and the regs said my shed was to tall , but seeing as i back on to a golf course ,
                        and id keep my next door neighour happy / with regs , common sense won the day ,
                        some peps have fook all better to do ,
                        None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• steelemonkey
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Luckily my neighbour sells stolen goods and is very successful at it.
                          Good fences make for good neighbours.
                          Paul.
                          If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
                          Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

• ziggi
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Dec 2012

I cam home from holiday one day to find a 6 by 6 inch hole in the close of our tenement building, turns out downstairs neighbour was re designing his bathroom and had put a support beam through the close wall for support.

With it possibly being part of the main structure I thought I'd call planning to have them check it out

Never got a reply, waste of space but then all of the council employees are

maybe it's ok but I'd like to know my building won't fall down beneath me

Comment

• notdeadyet
                              Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ziggi
                              I cam home from holiday one day to find a 6 by 6 inch hole in the close of our tenement building, turns out downstairs neighbour was re designing his bathroom and had put a support beam through the close wall for support.

With it possibly being part of the main structure I thought I'd call planning to have them check it out

Never got a reply, waste of space but then all of the council employees are

maybe it's ok but I'd like to know my building won't fall down beneath me
                              It's not really a planning matter, should've called building control as structural alterations are part of their remit. It's got fire implications too.

To be fair, most people don't know what planning covers and what's BC but the planning department should have referred you to BC. Hardly surprising as most planners that I've come across are a useless bunch of self-important arse-bags.

Most councils have a dangerous buildings reporting number too.
                              Last edited by notdeadyet; 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM.
                              Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

Working...