PDA

View Full Version : Problem Suunto Vyper 2

wombat
26-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Hi guys. Just back from Philippines (sorry have to drop that in then check it wasn't a dream :nod: ) and have a Vyper 2 issue.

All went well for the first 8 dives then the Vyper dropped into Guage mode and didn't offer the plan mode. Imagined that it thought I missed a stop or had a quick ascent (alhough other backups offered nothing alarming) and that it had got stroppy and locked me out for a while.

However it has never recovered. Still Guage (which works as you'd expect, depth, temp, time all normal) and no Plan mode when out of the water. If I set dive mode to off it just jumps to guage mode as I go down. Been back a few days now by the way and last dive was 5 days ago.

Any thoughts on the issue and if it is worth getting looked at? Or do I cut my losses and tempt myself to a new one :mm:

Aqua Maria
26-03-2014, 07:42 AM
I had a similar problem with one of my computers. It was b*******d. It's worth returning to Suunto, as they may offer you a factory swap at a decent price.

Tim Digger
26-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Talk to Suunto or the dealer you got it from, on past showings they will fix or offer a reasonable reduction on replacement. Certainly well worth a try my missus got 55 off a new Cobra1 after 12 years of diving it (well over 1000 dives). Very good customer service.

Smiler
26-03-2014, 07:16 PM
I'd take the battery out and refit. It seems to work for almost all other electrical items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wombat
27-03-2014, 04:48 AM
Well first tx for the replies.

Sadly I have to report that on the eighth day after last use it has returned to normal. I'll download everything and have a look but having looked at the memory on the Vyper of the dives before and when it went to guage I see nothing alarm wise. I think I'll try it and see if I can reproduce it under controlled conditions (e.g. maybe a fast ascent - the Vyper not me :mm:).

If I can get it to do it again I'll definately send it to Suunto.

Cheers

stafforddiver
27-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Deffo replace the battery.

My vyper has had a fit a couple of times after the battery gets to a couple of years old. I suspect that your computer was switched on continuously for your 8 dives / over the days? the battery ended up low and then started to missbehave.

edward
27-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Sunnto are here:

Unit H, Farringdon Business Park, Lower Farringdon, Alton, Hampshire GU34 3DZ

01420 587272

Very helpful. Sold me a 'service replacement' Vyper air/2 (the blue one) for 80ish when my 7 year old Vytec died due to depth sensor packing up (reached 50m+ in the carpark at scimitar).

jmackenzie
27-03-2014, 10:55 AM
My flatmate had issues with Vyper 2 - screen froze underwater and still showed depth when surfaced. Sent back and given free replacement as only 2 years old. Came in handy as my spare when my Helo ran out of battery on day 1 of a Norway liveaboard (at 40m).

Darrentt
27-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Did you accidentally dive with it in gauge mode? If so it'll lock out for 48hrs. It's a suunto thing. User error.

wombat
28-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Sunnto are here:

Unit H, Farringdon Business Park, Lower Farringdon, Alton, Hampshire GU34 3DZ

01420 587272

Very helpful. Sold me a 'service replacement' Vyper air/2 (the blue one) for 80ish when my 7 year old Vytec died due to depth sensor packing up (reached 50m+ in the carpark at scimitar).

Edward tx for that. It's just down the road from me; I could even drop in :nod:

Darren happy for the 48 hours but 8 days!!!!!! I also find it hard to believe I put it in Guage mode but random button contact cannot be ignored I guess.

Anyway I'll get back with controlled test results in a few weeks. And if I can reproduce it I'll try Suunto. Luckily for me I have access to other dive computers so not a major hassle