PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Sofnolime

johnkendall
12-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Hi All,

I'm sure many of you have done this in the past. I'm going to Malta in late march, and need to take a Keg of Sofnolime with me. How is best to do it? (I'm flying air malta, so the weight is not an issue) Take it as it is? stick the keg in a hold-all? Something else? Any other hints and tips.

Thanks
John

flyingfisheye
12-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Ring the the airline ask them get the green light and the name of who you speak to. Take the documents that come with the sorb as they state that it is none hazardous, also ensure that container is new and sealed too. apart from that i can not think of anything.

dwhitlow
12-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Inside hold baggage and nobody will be concerned.

I flew Air Malta last year with three 4.5kg containers (topped up from the keg) in the 20kg bag with the few clothers I too. I generally decant into them anyway as I hate filling from a full keg. The two 32kg containers were the rebreather and the rest of the dive gear (apart from the CCR electronics as that was hand luggage).

Chill
12-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Go to the manufactures Web page and down load the form similar to this one in the link below it will help with transportation of Sofnolim.
http://www.divelime.com/dldownloads/Transport_statement.pdf

dwhitlow
12-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Go to the manufactures Web page and down load the form similar to this one in the link below it will help with transportation of Sofnolim.
http://www.divelime.com/dldownloads/Transport_statement.pdf

www.molecularproducts.com Sofnolime technical Specification (http://www.molecularproducts.com/pdf/Sofnolime%20797%26CD%20UK%20DS%20V9.pdf)

www.molecularproducts.com Safety Data Sheet (http://www.molecularproducts.com/download-pdf.htm?file=L3BkZi9Tb2Zub2xpbWU3OTdOb25pbmRpY2F0a W5nU0RTLnBkZg==&id=Mzk=)

We divers worry about things that nobody else worries about. Maybe that is why we survive (:wait: mostly)

This thread reminds me of the taking cylinders to Scapa debate. Does anyone fill in those forms? Mores the point, has anyone been challenged without the forms?

daviesjez
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
John

Stick tub in hold luggage, with datasheet stuck on it, inside a dive bag. We have had no issues in the past ( and will be doing so on Sunday!! :-). And remember Air Malta are doing extra 32 kgs for 5 euros until the end of March( just print off how many vouchers you need off their website). Happy days!!!

Jez

johnkendall
12-03-2014, 08:11 PM
John

Stick tub in hold luggage, with datasheet stuck on it, inside a dive bag. We have had no issues in the past ( and will be doing so on Sunday!! :-). And remember Air Malta are doing extra 32 kgs for 5 euros until the end of March( just print off how many vouchers you need off their website). Happy days!!!

Jez

Yeah, that's why I'm flying out on the 30th :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DaveHart
13-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi John, Just as others have said Ive just put a 20Kg tub in the hold with the datasheet on it. never had a problem with Air Malta in the past.
you can only get 2 fills from a 20kg tub with your RB80 monster carnt you? :-)

looking forward to seeing you in Malta.

johnkendall
13-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Hi John, Just as others have said Ive just put a 20Kg tub in the hold with the datasheet on it. never had a problem with Air Malta in the past.
you can only get 2 fills from a 20kg tub with your RB80 monster carnt you? :-)

looking forward to seeing you in Malta.

Yeah, but it will last me 3 weeks per fill :)

Neil H
13-03-2014, 07:34 PM
For a minute there I thought sofnoline was a new budget airline , guess I may have misunderstood the title

Janos
13-03-2014, 09:49 PM
I flew to Egypt with a keg. Take the MSDS datasheet as others have said, but also Take off the Irritant sticker. It will draw attention to the keg and people don't like it.
Put it inside a squishy bag too helps.

Janos

JPTaylor
14-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Best to put 2.5kg lots in those air tight zip lock plastic bags & pack them tight with brown parcel tape, then hide them in your clothes bag!!!!!

:rofl:

(Only joking.....)

Dazdiver
14-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Are you on Jacks trip Jez?

Daz

daviesjez
14-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Are you on Jacks trip Jez?

Daz

No.... Me, the misses and a mate are just out for a week on the JJ's with Divewise/Techwise from Monday, so if you see us buzzing around, come and say hi

Jez

Dazdiver
24-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Had no issues with taking lime with air malta, brought the unused lime back as only did 3 dives due to cell issues.

daviesjez
24-03-2014, 03:39 PM
We just got back from Malta , and had no issues at all with taking the tub of lime out with us.